Baghdadee بغدادي

Arab American Soldier in Baghdad

Guest young american (again)

for those in Iraq, do the Iraqis really seem to want a democracy. Not having been there, its hard for me to know. If t he Iraqis truly desire a democracy, and are willing to live and die for freedom peace and prosperity, than they will succeed, without that desire however, democracy cannot exist.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do the Iraqis really seem to want a democracy.

I thought the question might better be "Why are the Iraqis so egger for Democracy?"

During the last year, thousands of villages, towns, cities, univarsities, shools and civil organizations had experienced intensive ellection processes to choose their representatives.. Women with equel voice to men were there..

People were asking UN to interven when felt the American kind of reluctant to trust the Iraqi ability to move faster into democracy.. Though the UN reply was recieved as disappointing, Iraqis never give up while they paying high price for all the pain and suffering of both political occupation status and the more criminal acts of terror by Sadamee's and Salafees.

Guest older american

Unfortunately, there are those who will cry "corruption" whenever companies get involved. Look at all the silliness regarding Halliburton as an example.

Many critics are more concerned to tear down the companies than to consider what is useful for the actual people.

Guest Bob from Pine Creek

Silliness? Come on, a monkey could see there is issue with how Halliburton ended up with such lucrative contracts. You aren't bothered that the company that Cheney is an ex-executive officer of somehow was allowed billions of dollars without placing a single bid?

Wow. Amazing how blind some people choose to be.

Guest bounty-hunter

You Americans are incredible, go and destroy a country and then bitch because the people arent happy. Of course they are not happy, you are killing their children raping their women, killing innocents because of too many hollywood movies and a fearful 20 year old marine with an shaking trigger finger.

Sure you guys are rebuilding, how very nice of you. Err, but what reason it it that you are rebuilding again.... Oh yes money and your own benefit. How silly of me to forget, this is what America always does.

Have a war jack up the economy, especially for bush jnr. friends weapons companies etc.

The occupation of Iraq will be seen in years to come as one of the most stupid things America ever did I guarantee it.

How can people question whether the iraqi people want freedom and democracy. They are throwing themselves in front of Abrahms tanks with little more than stones and hand made weapons and the odd ancient RPG. Now most people would not stand face to face with a tank with a stick or rock in their hand unless they felt strongly about the issue. badWord I would not want to try out a tank with an RPG either!!

I know I am going to get flamed for this but, oh well. You Americans deserve a bit of the arogance you give, coming back to you.

Guest hogan

Anyone can pontificate about motives using only assumptions. Only an adult will intellegently analyze a situations looking for the truth using history and facts. If you look at American history, this isn't the first time we decided to fight and try to eliminate a childish goverment that was threatening our security. But, we do not colonize. That hasn't been profitable for any country since the nineteen century. We pick up the country and try to help them establish twentieth century institutions and then we leave them to there own devices. You ought to quit worrying about America's motives. Iraq will govern itself. America does not have the desire nor the money needed to dominate you indefinitely. If the majority of Iraqis choose to fight America while it attempts to pick you up and dust you off, we will leave you lying flat on your back. You can try to get up on your own, but history indicates you may not be successful. Its okay to receive help, America asks for help all the time. It's only a problem if your weak and vain. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Silliness?  Come on, a monkey could see there is issue with how Halliburton ended up with such lucrative contracts.  You aren't bothered that the company that Cheney is an ex-executive officer of somehow was allowed billions of dollars without placing a single bid?

Wow.  Amazing how blind some people choose to be.

Actually, the simple truth of the matter is VERY simple: Haliburton built the original infrastructure that it was allowed to repair. They had the original blueprints, and knew what was in Iraq and what likely was needing repair after being neglected for years.

OR they could have spent 6 months to a year wrangling with job bids, eventually awarding the contract to a bidder who could then get started (IF none of the other bidders decided to sue and keep the case tied up in court for the next 5 years!!!).

The first thing they would do is go to Haliburton, obtain copies of their blueprints, inventories, and equipment and parts descriptions, begin a survey of the properties in Iraq, evaluate what needs to be done, possibly order parts from Haliburton, and then get on with doing it. This would have placed the beginning of reconstruction approximately three or four months from today, if not much, much later.

Or they could just go straight to Haliburton and get the job done immediately.

I like the way they did it, myself ;). Only an incurable bureaucrat would think the other way might have been somehow "better".

Hi...

I am Abu Mohammed

I am asking why the American depend on such kind of people while they are not even welcomed from the people in Iraq, because the Iraqi people do not like these nationalities since they know that they are with saddam...

Hi Abu Mohammed :)

Nice to meet you! B)

Why would an American organization depend on these people? Hmmmm... there have been some interesting responses here, but not the one I suspect to be the most likly: It is most likely that when this organization started up, they simply were looking for Arabic speakers who would go into Iraq with them.

The organization may very well have another agenda of its own, but the problem with finding translators who will go to Iraq in this period of unrest is a large one for Americans.

Personally, I would prefer to see them hire local Iraqis to help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J Thomas

Actually, the simple truth of the matter is VERY simple: Haliburton built the original infrastructure that it was allowed to repair. They had the original blueprints, and knew what was in Iraq and what likely was needing repair after being neglected for years.

Do you have documentation that Halliburton did the original work in iraq?

The way I heard it, a much larger part of iraqi infrastructure was done by french and russian contractors. And Halliburton might have had trouble getting spare parts and such, but chose not to repair the old structures but instead plan how to replace them -- which very largely hasn't happened yet.

And so they started a survey of the properties in iraq, evaluated what needs to be replaced, ordered the equipment, and now they might be ready to start reconstruction in three or four months or when the security situation settles down, whichever comes later.

Guest Guest
You Americans are incredible, go and destroy a country and then bitch because the people arent happy. Of course they are not happy, you are killing their children raping their women, killing innocents because of too many hollywood movies and a fearful 20 year old marine with an shaking trigger finger.

Sure you guys are rebuilding, how very nice of you. Err, but what reason it it that you are rebuilding again.... Oh yes money and your own benefit. How silly of me to forget, this is what America always does.

Have a war jack up the economy, especially for bush jnr. friends weapons companies etc.

The occupation of Iraq will be seen in years to come as one of the most stupid things America ever did I guarantee it.

How can people question whether the iraqi people want freedom and democracy. They are throwing themselves in front of Abrahms tanks with little more than stones and hand made weapons and the odd ancient RPG. Now most people would not stand face to face with a tank with a stick or rock in their hand unless they felt strongly about the issue. badWord I would not want to try out a tank with an RPG either!!

I know I am going to get flamed for this but, oh well. You Americans deserve a bit of the arogance you give, coming back to you.

"The occupation of Iraq will be seen in years to come as one of the most stupid things America ever did I guarantee it."

Sure, a lot of people will think that. But we americans are still arguing about vietnam. Some of us think the strategy and tactics were just fine, and if we had only had enough political will we would have won and we would have saved all of southeast asia from communism.

If we can't agree that the vietnam war was stupid, how likely is it that we'll agree that the iraq occupation is stupider?

Warning;

this is a general "venting" not really aimed at any member.

SO you say the Marshall plan of 1946 was a mistake we made in Europe?

How would you have handled that one my friend ;)

ANd we have ZERO unemolyment in America! Thanks George!

errr...thats stealing one of your own "angry young liberal lines isn't it bounty-hunter :D

How can people question whether the iraqi people want freedom and democracy. They are throwing themselves in front of Abrahms tanks with little more than stones and hand made weapons and the odd ancient RPG.

Hey "bounty hunter "!!! you are a piece of work with such an off the wall screen name

I demand a link to your LIES errr.... news reports from Iraq stating the Iraqi Intifada.

Dude, you need help.Step away from the keyboard, go out and get some fresh air.

"The occupation of Iraq will be seen in years to come as one of the most stupid things America ever did I guarantee it."

I'll take that bet "Guest"

You are not familiar with the history of Nam over the past two decades are you "guest". LOL, I thought not.

Tell you what,

Go catch up on your Viet Nam living the Pacific rim dream history.

Stop living in the 1970's , they are long over...let go. :lol:

The world of the Iraqi's will change after we leave. ( and we will )

If they want to turn back the clock to the 1070's , that decision is less than one year away now.

I'll say in years to come,the new Iraq will have shaped the mindset of the middle east rulers,kings,ect.

The leading indicator of which way they turn their counrty will be the obvious choice made on how women will be treated.

I am also asking any Iraqi "in country" who could provide such a link

ANy way

If we can't agree that the vietnam war was stupid,

Lets see...Going into French Indo China , to save face for France was a mistake

But this ;

how likely is it that we'll agree that the iraq occupation is stupider?

this is a question for Iraqi's , to vote on much as the elections held in South Viet Nam in the mid '70's.

The stupidest thing would be to ignore and abandon them when they even have gone to the United Nations and stated they require a large "occupation force" to cover them through this year.

The UN sounds off over the next few days,they even had a rare Sunday session over Iraq.

I hope The United Nations can agree to stand by this fledging experiment as requested.

Remember just two years ago, the UN could have spoken as one voice,stood shoulder to shoulder and said; " Saddam, stand down.Leave Iraq." He was offerred safe passage out and a place of exile.

Those 30 years of being in power...

Nope, he couldn't do that. He had too many enemy's living in exile already !!

Guest Guest
The stupidest thing would be to ignore and abandon them when they even have gone to the United Nations and stated they require a large "occupation force" to cover them through this year.

Is that so?!

The guys we picked out to be the IGC actually said that they need us to occupy them!

Will wonders never cease....

I am sending this request on behalf of some friends inside Iraq asking about procedures that they would proceed with claims of rubbering money any valuables while riding houses that are allegedly conducted by US soldiers.

Some one that I personally trust, claimed that two cars and about $ 15k value of money and gold was stollen from his uncle house while searching his house. He told me that when they claim it to some offices, they return back only 1000 dollar. Though one of the cars is not in the name of the accuased person.

I amn't claiming here that all the above story is absolutely correct, but I would like to tell our friends insides Iraq about what to do to follow up on such incidents .

I keep hearing such claims and I think CPA is responsible to accompany some Iraqi legal figure where conductiing such rides.. That is not only for protecting Iraqis but also to keep high all the sacrifies that these young women/men in uniform .

tajer

I would suggest that your friend go to his local IP headquarters and talk with the person in charge there.. then perhaps the IP commander can investigate and will assist him in getting an investigation started with the US military if his story checks out. I am sure the US Military Commanders in his district will listen to the IP in his district.

Archived