Baghdadee بغدادي

Message of support from Israel

Guest xxxlt

Guest xxxlt

Hello all,

I am an Israeli Jew with Iraqi origins and i want to give you all my support, it is a shame and pity what is happening in iraq today and i really hope Iraq will rise again to prosperity inshalla. I have always heard stories about Iraq and wish to visit it someday. the Iraqi people deserve to live a happy life just like everybody else!

Inshalla the carnage will stop soon and peace will come to iraq.

Guest xxxlt
Dear fellow,

I'm delighted with your approach and support to your big family of Iraq. You are more than welcome in our homeland for a visit in the future. Iraq is for all Iraqis and their successors.

Please Bahir tell me if there is anything I can do from here i am now to help Iraq. I can't even think of what might help to stabilize Iraq and that depresses me. There's a big community here that would like to offer its assistance if it can be of any help.

xxxlt,

Salam/Shaloom

First of all , please pray for Iraq.. The country that will get all of it's sons back , living in peace and prosper that they deserve.

As Iraqi , I have a feeling, may be I am not right, that most Iraqi Jewish young generation are no longer attached strongly to their original home land.. Please don't take this as criticizing point, I know many young ex-patriot Iraqis of other religion did same after leaving the country for long time.

What I would like to know is if such understanding is not right.. I met a young generation Isreali/Iraqi couple of years ago . His father broke in tears when I started taking to him about Baghdad. The son was just don't care and told me that he never believed as Iraqi. I one of the ellection centers last year, I ran into an American Isreali of Iraqi origin, she was asking if she is elligable to vote. She was a college student . She brough with her the identity "Jinsia" of her father and grand father.. The people at the ellection center were so happy and went with her through the normal constitutional process that allow any Iraqi decendent for Iraqi nationality and rights away from race or riligion. I thought this to be a unique case though.

History tells that the Jewish community was pioneer in establishing the new Iraqi state in the early twentieth century , the Iraqi Jews were very active in the political parties and social events . Wish you the best and be able to bridge your roots that extend for more than two thousands years !

I know politics and wars might drift us a part , but we share many things, among them our beloved , Iraq!

Guest xxxlt
xxxlt,

Salam/Shaloom

First of all , please pray for Iraq.. The country that will get all of it's sons back , living in peace and prosper that they deserve.

As Iraqi , I have a feeling, may be I am not right, that most Iraqi Jewish young generation are no longer attached strongly to their original home land.. Please don't take this as criticizing point, I know many young ex-patriot Iraqis of other religion did same after leaving the country for long time.

What I would like to know is if such understanding is not right.. I met a young generation Isreali/Iraqi couple of years ago . His father broke in tears when I started taking to him about Baghdad. The son was just don't care and told me that he never believed as Iraqi. I one of the ellection centers last year, I ran into an American Isreali of Iraqi origin, she was asking if she is elligable to vote. She was a college student . She brough with her the identity "Jinsia" of her father and grand father.. The people at the ellection center were so happy and went with her through the normal constitutional process that allow any Iraqi decendent for Iraqi nationality and rights away from race or riligion. I thought this to be a unique case though.

History tells that the Jewish community was pioneer in establishing the new Iraqi state in the early twentieth century , the Iraqi Jews were very active in the political parties and social events . Wish you the best and be able to bridge your roots that extend for more than two thousands years !

I know politics and wars might drift us a part , but we share many things, among them our beloved , Iraq!

well... i consider myself an Israeli but with strong Iraqi origins. Identity is a complex thing for Jews... Only my grandparents came from Iraq, my mother was already born here. I'm also only part Iraqi, my other side being Latvian. but i can't deny the part of me that's Iraqi. not many here reconnect with their past in arab countries, i think it's a shame. Israel is now strong enough and well established with no need for identity erasure. not many feel like me, and it's a tragedy because we should be the ones to help bridge between the two people.

So i can't say Iraq brings any nostalgy, but there's this special feeling. calling Iraq a homeland would probably be too much, but i definitely have substantial ties to it.

I suppose that if you talked about baghdad with me, i'd break into tears because of what is happening. It's not enough that it's sad to see what is happening now, it's even sadder when you know what Iraq was beforehand - a rich and advanced pluralistic country (in the Pre-Saddam era). my Grandmother become a doctor in Iraq and my grandfather became an Accountant.

Guest xxxlt

If you are in for a lengthy read, you can read http://jeffweintraub.blogspot.com/2005/08/...jew-jimena.html about the identity problems of Arab jews.

i don't fully agree with the article, but i do with many of its points - the Arabism of some Jews must not be used as a weapon against other Jews, but rather as an instrument of peace. I am all for strengthening the bond, but not as a tool for political means. It would be a grave mistake to burn this bridge in the name of war, because it will be hard to rebuild in the name of peace. already, as you noted, many jews are in denial of their arab heritage because of that. such a shame.