Baghdadee بغدادي

DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ الديموقراطيه في العراق

Guest mustfser

rtsp://cspanrm.fplive.net/cspan/project/iraq/iraq_wj030705_makiya.rm

Makia, the auther of republic of fear, is talking about ellections and American policy in Iraq.

Very intersting interview .

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mustefser

rtsp://video.c-span.org/15days/wj031905_talabany.rm

ٍVery intersing interview with Kubad Altalabani, the Kurd leader representative.

Very interesting video...thanks... since it contains analysis to my taste. I like Perle's views because one of their focuses are on the interventions in area of the world where people are severely oppressed by rotten dictatorships. Just before the war, I used to argued with "peace protesters" saying unless I see the UN becoming capable of removing dictatorships around the world I will continue interventions such as the latest American one.

I totally agree with Perle and his concluding remarks or I should say his analysis. What he is advocating is accepting differences as a natural by-product of a developing democracy in its infancy.

Critical minds can nurture young democracies and are considered an immense catalyst to develop the culture of tolerating differences even if these difference are severely critical of some of our religious believes. On the other hand, some people confuse sweeping healthy critiques with tolerance. I advocate the healthy differences under a constitution that protect everyone and not just a particular political or religious group. I would like to see the religious, the communists, the atheists.....etc protected by a secular constitution rather than sharia as some Iraqi groups try to push forcefully. Though listening to Perle's video, where he praises Ahmed Al challabi for pushing secularims, makes me feel better about the future

Guest Mustefser

Yesterday we had a lot of fun!

Now watching our assembly meetings is fun.. Feel sorry for our Arab brothers who might yet to feel bored with theirs..

Though the names of the presidential committe were almost known, but it was fun to see Iraqis with all different backgrounds talk and move around freely.. Specially Dr. Chalabee who was moving and smilling alot.

The speach by our president Talabai was formal style, as if he was reading a party style one..

When he talked about our neighbors, he talked in an Iraqi way with a sharp look.. I felt he mean his threating to those who send terrorists..

He mentioned Plastinians rights and cleverly called to a solution based on UN. He didn't mention his fellow Kirdish's demands .. He was Iraqi more than a Kurdish

Aljezera was broadcasting the scene, but rather that airing the speach of talabanee, it was bringing a speach by a fellow Sadamee old regime unknown journalist, to talk about how bad this move is on the future of Iraq.. He was saying that this process will implement a factionist regime .. ! For him having people from different backgrounds in office is a reciepe for factionist regime.. These offices should be reserved for one faction, so it would n't be called factionally distributed.!

Guest Mustefser

The first assemply act

After the ellection of the new president, Alchalbee stod up to read the first decision by the assembly.. The choose of the place for the Assembly.. He was heading a committe to choose apropriet place.. There was two criteria: to be out of the green zone, so not under the control of the coalition forces. And to be safe..

I was thinking what building could be found under such two conditions..

He came with a mazing finding..

The old Parliament building, it is on the corner of the green zone, but not inside it, it was a building that was planned by the late kigdom Iraqi governement for the Iraqi parliament.. It is safe because it is in the area of Karada Maryam that the green zone is located, and have a great river side sight seeing.. So Iraqis can watch the assembly by going to the other side of the river, drinking and eating on Abo Nuaws great park by the river in the hot summer nights of Baghdad..

Amazing!!

Guest Mustefser

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/08/international/middleeast/

Shiite Leader Named Iraq Premier to End 2 Months of Wrangling

By ROBERT F. WORTH

Published: April 8, 2005

AGHDAD, Iraq, April 7 - The Shiite leader Ibrahim al-Jaafari was appointed Iraq's new prime minister Thursday, crystallizing the leadership of the first elected government in decades and ending more than two months of divisive negotiations.

Dr. Jaafari, a doctor and the leader of one of Iraq's major Shiite religious parties, was named by the new president, Jalal Talabani, shortly after Mr. Talabani was sworn into office with his hand on a Koran.

Hours earlier, Ayad Allawi, who has been the prime minister in Iraq's interim government, submitted his resignation, opening the way for the new government to take power. Dr. Allawi will remain head of a caretaker government until a full cabinet is chosen.

Dr. Jaafari, 58, had long been expected to be named prime minister - the most powerful post in the new government. Still, the announcement brought a palpable sense of finality and relief among Iraq's leading political groups, which had spent weeks locked in bitter talks on power-sharing and other issues that tried the patience of many Iraqis who risked their lives to vote on Jan. 30.

The appointment was also a long-deferred moment of triumph for the Shiites, who represent 60 percent of Iraq's population but were brutally suppressed by Saddam Hussein.

The Shiite coalition to which Mr. Jaafari belongs was formed under the auspices of Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, Iraq's most revered Shiite cleric, and Dr. Jaafari has made clear that he favors a strong voice for Islam in Iraq's new constitution, although he is vague about specifics.

Dr. Jaafari's appointment also underscored the anxieties expressed by some Arab leaders about Iran's influence in the region. During 20 years of exile from Iraq, Dr. Jaafari spent time living in Iran and forged close ties with Iranian leaders, as did many members of his Dawa Party.

As a member of the American-appointed Iraqi Governing Council set up shortly after American forces ousted Mr. Hussein two years ago, he pushed for a broader role for Islam in the interim constitution that now is in force in Iraq. When pressed for his personal views about what elements of Islamic law should be reflected in Iraq's new constitution, Dr. Jaafari offered few details during an interview last month.

"I understand that Iraqis all have different views and different political thinking and different religious thinking," he said. "The majority are Muslim, but that doesn't mean others are canceled or excluded."

He described himself in the interview as a supporter of a strong political role for women, and he said he would never favor laws forcing women to wear head scarves in public. Asked for his views on whether adultery should be criminalized in Iraq - as it is in some Arab countries - he said simply that this was an issue for the parliament to deal with, not him.

"This day for me means a new democratic political era in Iraq," Dr. Jaafari said Thursday after being named by the new president, Jalal Talabani, a Kurd who was selected on Wednesday. "It is one of the most important moments in the new democratic process in our country."

As he picks his cabinet, Dr. Jaafari will be facing a range of difficult issues that have already tested the fragile coalition between his Shiite alliance, which won just over half the assembly's 275 seats, and the smaller Kurdish alliance to which Mr. Talabani belongs. In addition to the role of Islam in the new government, those issues include the extent of Kurdish autonomy and how to split revenues from Iraq's oil industry.

On Wednesday, some assembly members called for Dr. Allawi's government to be dissolved as soon as Mr. Talabani was sworn in, but that issue may have been defused by Dr. Allawi's resignation.

Barham Salih, a member of the Kurdish alliance, said Dr. Allawi's government would now remain in office as a caretaker government until Dr. Jaafari finishes naming his cabinet. Dr. Allawi is also a member of the new Iraqi national assembly.

Dr. Jaafari offered no hints about whom he would name to his cabinet. He added, though, that the new government would include women and representatives of Iraq's various ethnic and religious groups.

But an agreement has been reached to name a Sunni Arab as head of the Defense Ministry, said Jawad al-Maliki, a national assembly member and deputy leader of the Dawa Party. Over all, the Sunnis will be given no less than six ministries, and the Foreign Ministry portfolio will go to Hoshyar Zebari, a Kurd who holds the same post in the interim government, Mr. Maliki said.

Advertisement

Sunni Arabs largely stayed away from the polls during the January election, and granting them powerful positions is seen as crucial both in forming a stable government and in defeating the insurgency. The Defense Ministry could be particularly important in that effort. Sunnis dominated the higher echelons of Mr. Hussein's military, and many joined the insurgency after his fall.

Mr. Talabani made his own overtures to the Sunnis after he took the oath of office on Thursday, along with his two deputies, in an auditorium packed with members of the new national assembly.

The Shiite and Kurdish alliances, Mr. Talabani said, "should respond to the legitimate demands of our brothers the Sunni Arabs and respect their rights as one of the most important elements of the Iraqi people."

Like some other Shiite leaders, Dr. Jaafari initially refused a year ago to sign Iraq's interim constitution, which sets up the procedures for writing the new constitution, because it allowed a two-thirds majority in any three of Iraq's 18 provinces to nullify the final constitution when it goes before voters later this year.

That provision was particularly important to Iraq's Kurdish minority. But Dr. Jaafari said at the time that he found it undemocratic. He signed the law, but has since said he may lead an effort to reverse that provision - a possibility that alarms many groups here, including the Kurds and the Americans.

Dr. Jaafari, a soft-spoken man who smiles easily, was born in the Shiite holy city of Karbala, where his father worked in the Imam Hussein shrine. He fled Iraq in 1980, when Mr. Hussein began killing and torturing thousands of Dawa Party members. After traveling through Syria and Iran, he arrived in London. He returned to Iraq shortly after the American-led invasion two years ago.

"The last person I bade farewell to when I left was my mother," Dr. Jaafari said in the interview last month. "When I came back to Iraq I went to Karbala. I visited my mother again, this time in the cemetery."

His mother had died naturally, but one of his brothers and four of his cousins were executed by Mr. Hussein's government, Dr. Jaafari said.

A voracious reader, he said he was reading Bill Clinton's autobiography. He said that he liked reading contemporary Arabic poetry and that his favorite Western writers were Shakespeare, Dickens and Tolstoy.

Guest sadok

Alsadrees had three seats in the new ellected assembly.. That all what they could . This would realistically reflect their real puplic power inside Iraq..Each member needed about 30 thousands votes, the demonstartion was about 100k.. Simple math would show their reall power..

The interesting part of the story is that they are calling for the withdraw of coalition forces by claiming that their Mehdi Army could fill the gap and fight the terrorist much better.!!

I was listening to a media interview with one Sadree and one old Sadamee.Both were anti US and calling for coalition withdraw. The old Sadamee was calling for the withdraw and ask for old Army to run the country, the Sadree was calling for same but with Mehdi Army to take charge..

It ended up with a big fight , each one accusing the other of using the anti occupation slogan as a polical agenda to take over..!!

The good part of it they talk to each other and exposed their real intentions..

Guest Guest_Tajer

That current visit of Mr. Ramsfeled brought a lot of controversial debates in Iraq.. Aljezera and some other Arab media reported him calling for keeping the current security personals in a refrence to the greater calls by coalition list leaders for cleaning the new scurity appuratus from Sadamees and Alqaeda agents.

That reports created a very bad impact and made Iraqis thinking of all conspiracy theories of American being indirectly behind the killing of Iraqis by terrors. A lot of Iraqis , without double checking the real statement of Ramsfeled, showed a lot of unger and suspesion of having such call by the top American officials at a time the US soldiers are paying the price .. Today when I listened to Ramsfeled, I found a diffrent call. He was calling for being careful in the cleaning process so that terror don't benifits of any lack of scurity ..

I think this call need to be immediately clarified by Ramsfeled , the Jezera reprots hurted a lot the image of US intentions.. I am sure that ramsfeled is the last one to cal for terrorist agents presence in security orginizations but seems we have a lack of transperent information!!

Guest moron99

It must be a language or translation thing.

I thought Rumsfeld was very clear. He was very careful to link cleaning out of security forces to avoiding unneccessary death of innocent Iraqi. If they purge too quickly then security will suffer and the terrorists will be able to kill more innocent people.

Maybe Rumsfeld needs his own translator so that his messages which are clear in his native tongue will remain clear after translation. But then again, Al Jazeera would just edit bits and pieces anyway until they made it sound inflammatory.

It is like Rumsfeld said "Don't drive so fast that you wreck your car."

and Al Jazeera reports that Rumsfeld wants to outlaw cars based upon the quote "Don't drive .."

Guest sadok

In a surprising move..Moqtada Alsader issued a strict command to his followers of Almehdi Army militia "estimated of ten thousands" to prohibt any political or armyed activity.

He asked them to concentrate on the educational aspects only.

This was in answer to some of his follwers questioning if the current demonstrations and signs of appearance is to return to political agendas.

Guest Guest_tajer

I like to comment on the way that Mr. Ramsfeled's calls where interpreted and recieved by some anti new Iraq Arab media

Aljezera: Very happy with it, it intepreted the calls as " calls for no politization of security police -tasees alamen"

A alnile egyptian governemnt sponsored Tv : Also happy with , interpreted them as " calls to no political burging - tadheer syasee"

Some media reports interpred them as to stop the cleaning of Sunnis by Shia new governemnt..

It is very clear that most of Arab media who is clearly supporting terrorists are very happy with the calls.. Is that telling something?

Iraqis are claiming that some of the officers were working with terroristsmany interviews with the captured criminals refered that they got hepl from within

I might understand any concern by Mr. Ramsfled of larg cleaning , but I think a review process need to be started.

Guest Guest

Rumsfled seemed very clear to me. He isn't against cleaning. He just would rather not see it rushed and sloppy.

Ultimately it's up to new government. I doubt they even give his advice that much weight beyond the mere fact that they need his soldiers for a little while longer. They have much bigger issues in front of them than making Rumsfeld happy. They will do whatever they think is best. They know that US is politically trapped into doing and supporting whatever they want.

Archived