Baghdadee بغدادي

Poll of Iraqis Reveals Anger Toward U.S.

Guest sodapants

That is nonsense... YOu cannot give total control and guidence of a democracy to people who have no experience in managing one. That's like giving the car keys to a 10 year old. Bad idea. That's what American advisors are for.. to be a helping had... to be advice givers. We've done a decient job of it in America and have gone through the growing pains as our republic has grown. It's insanity to assume that our guidence and opinions should not influence Iraq.

That is nonsense... YOu cannot give total control and guidence of a democracy to people who have no experience in managing one. That's like giving the car keys to a 10 year old. Bad idea. That's what American advisors are for.. to be a helping had... to be advice givers. We've done a decient job of it in America and have gone through the growing pains as our republic has grown. It's insanity to assume that our guidence and opinions should not influence Iraq.

I believe you have put your response into the wrong thread. You probably intended to respond to the one about the US keeping indirect control after June 30.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Texas Gentleman,

I see Iraq as something very similar to a period in our own history - after Santa Ana usurped the Mexican Constitution of 1824, the whole populace became restive - Mexican Federalists rose up in all areas, not just in our home state - there were the short lived Rio Grande Republic and the Republic of the Yucatan also. It didn't really matter what his agenda was at the time - after all, compared to the Spaniards, even a totalitarian dictatorship by that whacko was nice - but they just saw their freedoms that they suffered so much more taken away.

Of course, there is a difference. I truly believe that we Americans don't want to take over Iraq. In fact, I know we don't. But I don't know if Iraqi's do. They've never seen anyone liberate them as far as I know (any of you folks out there, put me right if I'm wrong). As near as I can tell, they've been conquered time and time again, or fought over for the last 3,000 years. The Hittites, the Romans, the Persians, the Parthians, the Sasanians, the Peninsular Arabs, the Seljuks, the Ottomans, the British, and Sadaam. The way I figure it, they see a pattern - and it's really hard to break the pattern and have people accept it.

I have a cousin in Iraq right now. He has told me there are many friendly people...I guess what I'm saying is I trust him to do the right thing, and it must be done for the people of Iraq, not for gratitude.

Sorry for such a long post.

Archived