Baghdadee بغدادي

In my mother rememberance

Below is my speech   In the California funeral of my beloved mother
Safaa
=============

Our dearest Friends , 
Thank you so much for coming today. Your tremendous support is a God-sent blessing during this very difficult time.

Like many mothers, my beloved mom had a significant impact on her  children's lives. In our situation, however, the impact was magnified. 
My late father passed away early leaving her as the sole parent to eight children ages 4-16. A single mom , she rose to this immense challenge and did a phenomenal job raising my siblings and I, if I do say so myself. 
Her hard work and dedication shaped the successful two generations of Homemakers, engineers, university professors, national athletics ,lawers, businessmen, doctors and proud parents we are today.
She lived through 8 decades of  Iraq atmost dynamic times, and moved to the USA during her last few years of life,  where few months ago,she became a very proud citizen of this great nation .

During  her long and fruitful life, she experienced a great deal of ups and downs. 
Through it all, she managed  to maintain a warm-hearted smile.  
For as far back as I can remember, I cannot recall a single incident in which she raised her voice or lost her temper at me or my siblings. She was always there to gently guide us through our biggest and smallest moments though. 

Like many of her generation, She didn't have her chance at school, yet she was able to coop with education superintendent husband .  She could read The Quran and other holy Duaa books . She had an uncanny ability to memorize very long traditional  poems even at her late age. 
One In particular she often recited, and I will never forget,  goes as follows:

بنيه ,هم اللج حاجب واللج دك
والج هاون براس الكلب يندك  
مثل شاه العجم لو خيم و دك 
تبين خيمته من الناصريه

And so on, for many more verses.

Interestingly, she used them to predict people's "fortunes". 

I miss her dearly, but I know she's looking down on us, with that  warm smile and bright face.  May God bless her soul, and may she Rest In Peace. 

Thank you again. Your presence means so much for our family. May God bless you and your families, and Protect you from harm.