Baghdadee بغدادي

The Battle of Baghdad (Law Enforcement)

Finally, Iraqis were face to face with the man whom Almaliki chose to lead the Baghdad long waited offence to enforce law and order to Baghdad. LT. Aboud Hashim “Qanbar” was on Iraqia TV, reciting the Maliki’s announcement of detailing the plan.

I personally thought such first interaction to be more expressive than reciting his PM announcement. It was a critical instance to talk directly to people and explain his views.

Any how, seems the moment is just arriving and we need to wait and see ..

Sadamists already started their propaganda against the new Baghdad military commander. Alsharqia TV “run by a former Baathist” accused him of being engaged with political parties and that he approached Maliki’s party Aldawa. A terrorists web site that is linked to Alqaeda accused him of being member of Bader organization. Any how his former military officers colleagues told Reuters that he is a former Iraqi Army officer that used to command the Iraqi navy during Saddam era. Being a Shia and reached to such position, I assume him to be highly professional .

On other front Almaliki went to Babil province today to thank the Aqrab unit which did the job in Najaf last month. The unit was under sever propaganda attcks by Sadamists Accusing them of using excessive force. The thanks went per the Iraqi style , he awarded them with good financial package!

Seems that Maliki is learning fast on how to deal with his men..

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article by an American military commander... It might explain much of the current crisis.

There is one very interesting point made by this article

When I spoke to shopkeepers, professionals, imams and others in Al-Amariyah, I was told that the solution to ending the violence -- both insurgent attacks and sectarian killings -- was an Iraqi government they saw as legitimate

I wish if the writer had asked those people about what type of government that they think legitimate.. I wonder if that type would satistisfy the 80% population who defy brutality of sadamist and Qaeda friends of these these shopkeepers, professionals, imams of TODAY Almeriah , and went up to make their vioce loud at the voting boxes.!

One simple correction, Alameriah was never thought as Sunni majority naighborhood . As the writer corrctly made it , Almeriah was mixed professional employess residential area. Originally was the home land of mix tribe of Albo Amer.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...on/16686900.htm

Posted on Tue, Feb. 13, 2007

Legitimacy of leaders, not army, will lead Iraq to peace

By Lt. Col. Gian P. Gentile

I learned as a tactical battalion commander in Baghdad's Al-Amariyah district last year that government legitimacy was exponentially more important than the number of coalition and Iraqi army forces patrolling the streets, the number of coalition advisers with Iraqi army and police units or money spent improving services. Indeed, legitimacy of the government of Iraq as seen through the eyes of all Iraqis -- Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds -- is the necessary condition for peace based on reconciliation.

In Al-Amariyah we were neither winning nor losing; we were in stasis. Between August and November last year, I substantially increased the number of combined U.S. and Iraqi army patrols there and the capacity of the American adviser team that worked with a local Iraqi army battalion. Still, the deadlock did not break.

Al-Amariyah is one of the few districts in Baghdad that is almost completely Sunni. It was built in the early 1970s as a residential area for lawyers, doctors, engineers and members of the Baathist elite. When Saddam Hussein's regime fell in 2003, Al-Amariyah's affluent residents had the most to lose, and partly because of its longstanding tribal ties to Al-Anbar province, Al-Amariyah gradually became Baghdad's Sunni insurgent headquarters.

In spring 2003, Sunnis made up about 85 percent of Al-Amariyah's population. But sectarian killings have made Sunnis nearly the entire population, and the district has become lethal for the few remaining Shiites.

The enemy of peace in Al-Amariyah, much like in the rest of Baghdad, was and is a hybrid. The enemy is still an undefeated Sunni insurgency that attacks coalition and Iraqi forces. The enemy is also a vicious and brutal sectarian war carried out not only by Sunni and Shiite extremists but sometimes also by neighbors against neighbors.

As violence mounted significantly in Baghdad during the summer, we confronted this hybrid enemy head-on for a week in early August with an almost fourfold increase of U.S. and Iraqi troops. We also shut down all vehicular traffic in the district, among other things.

The stated purpose for our efforts was to provide breathing room for the government, to allow a break in the violence so it could demonstrate that it was a government of unity. In this sense, we ``cleared'' Al-Amariyah, and there were no violent acts during that week. Yet the increase in troops was not sustainable.

In the weeks and months after our weeklong operation, U.S. forces did not leave or abandon Al-Amariyah. We held it with nearly double the number of U.S. and Iraqi troops that had long operated there.

My basic and most fundamental mission was to protect the people. As models of how to proceed, I used Col. H.R. McMaster's brilliant operations in Tal Afar and the successful actions of my brigade commander, Col. Mike Beech, in the nearby Sunni district of Doura. I also used the Army's new counterinsurgency doctrine as my operational guide. We spent millions of dollars rebuilding schools and cleaning garbage from the streets. We continued to capture and kill Sunni insurgents and Shiite militia members who attempted to attack Al-Amariyah from outlying areas. We established trust between the Sunni population and our forces and improved their views of the local Iraqi army battalion. For its Sunni residents, Al-Amariyah became one of the most secure districts in Baghdad.

But the violence continued. Sunnis killed and continue to kill Shiites and government forces because of sectarian hatred, to retaliate for what they view as unfair acts by the Shiite government and because they fear that any Shiites remaining in their district would provoke more oppressive government actions against them.

Could more U.S. troops have eliminated the Sunni insurgency in Al-Amariyah? Probably not, because the people were not willing to separate themselves from the insurgents. Residents saw the Sunni insurgents as their final hope for protection from an illegitimate government out to crush them.

Could more American troops have stopped the sectarian violence? Possibly, if this war were still being carried out only by Shiite and Sunni extremist groups. But it is now a sectarian war of the people. When I spoke to shopkeepers, professionals, imams and others in Al-Amariyah, I was told that the solution to ending the violence -- both insurgent attacks and sectarian killings -- was an Iraqi government they saw as legitimate.More U.S. troops, more Iraqi troops and more U.S. advisers cannot produce a legitimate government; only the Iraqis can do that. To be sure, a minimum amount of military power is needed in a place such as Al-Amariyah to maintain order. Those forces are in place and should remain there to provide a baseline of security for the Iraqi government and to demonstrate to all Iraqis that the government is a force for reconciliation and fairness, not division.

LT. COL. GIAN P. GENTILE is in the 4th Infantry Division, which operated in West Baghdad last year. He wrote this article for the Washington Post.

The plan seems to go smooth till now.. Other than Sadamists /Qada media related machine, all Iraqis seem agreeing that it is critical to support it as what could be considered a last chance..

The news of Alsader might fled the country seems to me ridiculous. Other than Sadamists , no one should feel happy of Alsader be in opposition to the plan.

He didn’t fled the country , as others did, during Sadam. So why he should when his people are actively participating in the current political process.. Those who propaganda for this might thought it as a victory to the plan. That is not correct, having Alsader on the government side is critical in following the criminals who claimed them selves Sadrees .

Others that might benefits of his appearance are the Sadamists who might think that killing him at such criticle time might blow up the current Baghdad plan..

I think the Governemnt and the Americans should be now the most to worry about his life than stupid libreal propaganda would thought of ! Have a look to NYT report of today , one could trace such call .. I don't know which above parties the writer is belonging to, but both ways looks to me he is doing great help to Sadamist by triggering Alsader to show up on these day!!

Today, Sunni Arab Tawafuc slate in Parliament accused the operations of targeting Sunnis. Yesterday, Some Shia member in the pArliament accusing it to target Shia after all rades on Shaab , Sulaikh , Huria discrets!

Listening to both parties, I feel more confident that the plan is going the right way. Both should be delt with hard measures, exctly as Maliki had said.

Talabani, in news confrence after the presedential council meeting with PM, praised Alsader for his support and the green ligh that he gave to the governemnt to crack down any outlaw . He said Alsader might already asked his high ranking aids to go abroad to make the operations easier.

Reading some of the recent topics, ( I check this site for better up-to-date news on Iraq) , I am struck by the feeling that somehow AL Maliki is prepared to justify both attacking Shia terrorism and Sunni terrorism almost like we attack crime in America. We usually say " A pox on both their houses " to answer media criticiscm on favoritism. It looks like even-handedness, but only in the underbellies of the political favorites is the truth known. I have hopes that relatively logical and pragmatic people will oversee the return to civility and order in Baghdad. Yes, mistakes get made in policing disorder and controlling chaos. But the partnership of Iraqui soldiers and American soldiers should bring this process through to a complete success.

I just hope regular people who want peace, freedom and economic success win out in the end in Iraq. Relegious freedom is nice, but I doubt that will be a factor in eventual resolution there. No-one in America thinks Iraq will be perfect. But we all want Iraq to be free and peaceful. Tourism is way better than terrorism for the economy! Have a good safe week.

After couple of months residing abroad, the first appointed PM Alawee , chose to return back to Baghdad. I think this is a good sign that the Baghdad security is working fine . I think Alawee is expecting a great success , he want to get some of it's pie. His spokesman Mr. Alshabender went differently. He told news media that Alawee is coming with plan 2 package , in case the plan fails!!

As I expected, the plan was to make the forces deployment as less violent as possible. In addition of getting Sunni Arab involvement in the plan from early stages and accepting the surge of American troops in reply to a request by some Arab Sunni politicians leaders requests who feel more secured having Americans embedded within Iraqi forces, the criticle part of making that task possible was to convince Alsrees that it will not target any one who is not involved in violance. Those who didn’t like that approach, shared Sadamists and Qaeda in pushing Alsadrees against the plan for two reasons. First to make it very hard for the plan to succeed. Also to get rid of the real problem that is facing them in case Americans chose to cut and run as they might thought reading through Democrats minds!

Today the Imam of Friday pray in the main square of Sader city sent a very meaning full message. In his preaching in front of thousands of Alsadrees, he questioned those who propaganda that this plan is targeting Alsadrees “ Why do you assume that any new plan by Bush should be against Alsadrees?”

If he means it, then I assume this is a clear message to the Americans that should be received with much care. The policy of deriving Alsader toward Iran is a very stupid one and Americans need to do all possible to prevent it.. Today we hear many American commentators asking for opening dialogue with Baathists and other “ resistance groups”. They give the issue of preventing pushing them into Qaeda , as a reason. I don’t see any similar call for opening a dialogues with Alsadrees, with preventing pushing them the anxious Iranians as a reason!

Alsharqia TV political reporter , run by former Sadamists, today was commenting on Alsader absence . The reporter falsely qouted a Shia legislator that Alsader needs to appear in Kufa public pray to denounce all these rumors that he had left the country.I heard that legistlator live on radio Sawa, he never said that.. I find this manipulation very clear in expressing Sadamist and Qaeda deep wish of reaching him! The reporter didn't call for any appearance, such as meeting some officials in his group or in the governemnt. But he was specific in making it in a public appearance, as only way to brove it, where possibilities of sending a suicider is easier!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/us/politics/18mccain.html

No Retreat on Iraq Stance, McCain Insists

By ADAM NAGOURNEY

Published: February 18, 2007

“Republicans are in a tough spot — there’s nobody running for president who controls the destiny of what happens there,” the aide said. “I do think as Republicans we have to get to a difference place on Iraq or we are in trouble as a party.”

Have a look to the other dimenssion of the Baghdad "Law enforcement" Batttle!

Both parties politicians need to know that this battle should not be treated as an internal political dirty game..

It is not about Iraq and safety of Iraqis, it is about the future of the whole world..

As expected, terrorists are changing tactics.. Rather than concentrating on big car explosions, they turn into small raod explosions that are planted at radom on many streets, hurting normal civilian people. Such tactic has two goals, one to make it very easy for their agents to sneak in, other is to to spread as much as fear among Iraqis to to get into normal life and rather stay at home.

Talking to my sister in terrorist controlled west Baghdad Aljamea discrete, she told me that there is no significant presence yet for Iraqi governemnt forces other than the usual non effective check points. She said that raod bombs are the most they scare of now. No more armed men in the streets, but no governement's either.

Shops are still closed on the main Alrabea market place street, that once was considerd the one of the most bussiest one in Baghdad!

Arab Sunni Muslim brotherhood party leader , Iraqi vice president Alhashimee, called today upon the US administration to consider Jaish Almahdi as terrorist organization and make it a start to follow it's leaders inside and outside Iraq.... He chose to send this call through Aljazera TV.!

I think this to be a serious sign that Arab Sunni Tawafuc slate are not feeling well by the successes of the current Law enforcement plan. This came three days after their leader Alhashimee accusation that the plan is targeting Sunni Arab.

Making such broad accusation by a governmental official is very disturbing. First of all, it came from a coalition government leader where Alsadrees “the one responsible for Alameda army" are participating. Second, such a call by such high ranking official needs to be based on Iraqi court and security authorities cases and documented legal proofs , not based on Media reports and terrorist propaganda...

What I am worrying about is not the call, it is expect one after all miss trust among Iraqi political parties and the use of public excitements to gain political support. No different than any other country political system. They are under greater pressure that such success in security might make theses parties loosing much support that they gain through playing with secterian feelings.

What I am more concerned about is that this is coming at critical time while Iraqi government is making one of the most astonishing security achievements over the last four years.

Such a call at such sensitive time has no real value but to trigger another round of secterian widening and to make the governement efforts to contain violance more diffecult. . I think he was very unsuccessful to send his demands through a terrorist supporting media that was blocked by Iraqi government for it's rule in encouraging the acts of violence in Iraq.

I think it might be just another round of a serious previous initiatives by different anti Iraq stability groups, inside and outside Iraq, to trigger fears among Alsadrees that the current plan is targeting them.

This call came after the smart pragmatic moves by Alsadrees to stand firm in support to Maliki's plan. Some thing I think is real reason behind such upset by those who where expecting different conduct, even though it might be on the expenses of much more Iraqi and American blood!

Today among all Arab and Iranian media coverage , there is a kind of shock to the facts that the plan is getting so much support and moving so smooth in securing Baghdad.. Iranian Alalam news report today never mentioned the successes over the last three days, but was very happy to bring the killing of 66 Iraqis in the three car explosions in New Baghdad and Alsader discretes! Same pattron one can follow through most Arab governements sponsored media, not mentioning the libral media of the west!!

The plan is getting into more serious stage.. The terrorist groups already lost the ground within their respective narturing communities.. They are no loger betting on the fear from the other side to get support. However, the more they get into despair the more they do ! They might not be able to do big propaganda bombing , but they seems to choose to do more effective propaganda.

Aljazera broadcasted a video clip of an Iraqi Sunni Arab girl who accused three Iraqi policemen of raping her last week

http://hotfax.members.beeb.net/jazeera.html

Almalaki immediately ordered a high rank investigation. The medical test showed negative result to any rape incident.

Such level of fake allegations showed the level of despair these criminals are experiencing. In Arab tradition, using women dignity to facilitate ones goals is the worst thing to do.

I think the fast act by Maliki was critical and made it very clear that he is aware of such dirty games.Also using a joint US/Iraqi medical group to investigate was another good point in order to short cut any allegations of biased report.

What is worrying is the way Arab sunni politicians such as the Parliament speaker , react to it. On same clip above on Aljazera he was calling Maliki to get rid of the Iraqi interior policemen that he accused of doing it just two mintues after airing of the fake clip. Such irresponsible reaction reflects a very dangrouse approach to achieve political short term gains in such sensative time. It seems that Suni arab slate of Tawafuc are not feeling good with all the Iraqi forces successes. They have a reason though. They are affraid that they might loss a lot of support by their communities if things get normalized ..They use fears among their supporters to get votes!

On other front, legislator Salam Maliki who is a close aid to Alsader told Aliraqia TV that his boss is in a hide because of confirmed news that there are plans by some terrorists groups that might threaten his life.. Some thing I had expected and called to avoid in this criticalime of Law enforcement plan

The Government issued today the final report of Sabrin Aljanabi allegation of rape. The report , based on US Ibn Siana hospital medical tests, denied any sexual intercourse attack on Sabrin. The report also detailed the circumstances about her detaining. She was found at abandoned house by a combined US/Iraqi search force . She claimed that she is married to a guy by name of Qais that she doesn’t know his full name. She was found preparing food for ten people , and keeping a large store of medical supplies. The force also found clothes of a man who was found killed in another house after got kidnapped by terrorists. Also found a hidden access to the neighboring house.

According to the report, some influential figures from Muslim Brotherhood party of vice president Alhashimee reached the commander of the unit in Alamil discrete asking for her release and calling her " A mujahid sister"!

What is interesting is that the three officers and the commander of the unit are Sunni's and not Shia.! The three are going to file a law suite against the accuser and those politicians who used to media to make the allegations .

Almaliki decided to dismiss Dr. Alsamuraee , head of Sunni clergy, from office after his irresponsible speeches to the media that firmly accused the Iraqi police even before getting the final investigation report.

Last month Dr. Alsamuraee allegations of Sunni Arab pilgrims false kidnapping led to the killing of ten Shia pilgrims on the their way back from Mecca.!

It is very clear that the whole propaganda has nothing to do with the girl but to do with the Law enforcement plan. Alhashimi, vice president, called for hault of the operations in Alamil discrete. The fast collapse of the terroists organizations might be the real reason of these calls! So confusing when some one from inside the governemnt is trying to demoulish its plans

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/world/mi...=th&oref=slogin

Rape Accusation Reinforces Fears in a Divided Iraq

By MARC SANTORA

Published: February 21, 2007

BAGHDAD, Feb. 20 — The most wicked acts are spoken of openly and without reserve in Iraq. Torture, stabbings and bodies ripped to pieces in bombings are all part of the daily conversation.

Rape is different.

That is absolutely true... Rape is different. Not only because of avoiding follow up on it by victims but using it in political propaganda which is much worse.

As for the first part, nothing new, the victim was not known and her real name was not released. The voice might not be her too. So public don't know any thing about the victim. What is new is using rape in such poor orchestrated way. The language and the body language were so unconvincing, the incident was not proven by any reliable resources, yet the anti Baghdad security plan chose to go for it. They knew that such claim might ignite a new round of violence that might be much worse than the explosion of the golden Mosques.

I think the reason why they go to that last option is for two reasons. First they really feel threatened by the plan. Second they don't find any other option that might bring media attention after all killings and random explosions...

However, reading through NYT article, I have feeling that the Iraq stability enemy is still having weapons. The writer tried his best to but it as Sunni against Shia, the writer never mentioned that the three officers are Suni and their commander. That the girl was arrested by joint force. That Maliki awarded the officers because there is a huge propaganda to intimidate the Iraqi forces, unfortunately led by those who are considered as part of the government

I think the US administration need to work as fast as Maliki, a message to vice president al Hashimee is important. A message to tell that this plan is the last chance for Iraqis, Americans have no more to offer if this one turn to be a fail. Nothing but because of stupid politicians that put their narrow minded goals than national one.

Vice president Alhashimi office announced that the rape allegation case needs to be dealt with in the court and not be considered in the political agenda. Alhashimi went further to emphasis the need to support the security plan. The announcement came after a brief visit of US ambassador Khalil Zadah to his office this morning.

The head of the Sunni Clergy governmental agency withdraw his allegations that the victim was raped. He said that she might not, but the intention to do by the accused might be so! Almaliki dismissed him for his public accusation to the officers even before waiting the results of the official investigations. Similar speeches by him last month were used by Qaeda terrorists to kill many Iraqi pilgrims... Liberal media in it’s covering to the dismissal, made it looked like it was because of the clergy call for international investigation!!!