Baghdadee بغدادي

The Battle of Baghdad (Law Enforcement)

The security plan is becoming the last hope for most of Baghdad residents, and for Iraqis. Many keep wondering when the Khuta “plan” starts. Not only those who are looking forward are anxious, the terrorists too. Yesterdays random killing by three suicides at the entrance of Mustensria University gave a very important indication on how much the criminal are in fear. The target is nothing but a very soft multi ethnic easy access target... Never the less many western media called the attack as sectarian violence !.. Which sect is killing which? These are all sects’ kids at school...

Today, Almaliki, in a meeting with foreign ambassadors, warned that the plan will be so tough that there will be no toleration to any out law. The plan will be called Farth Alqanoon “Law enforcement”... he warned those who took over residences of those who were enforced to leave their houses, that they will be severely punished. Any one will be found to occupy such a house will be considered a terrorist... A warning that I am sure many of them will take it seriously. There is one concern though. There will be possibility that these criminal will go for destroying these houses, as far as the houses are of no use to them.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the following article by NYT.. So disgusting.. Al mustensiria University is a governement run University with admition policy that purely based on acadimic grades.It is one of the main four universities in Baghdad.. The writer , in order to give legitamacy on the killing of these kids, went so odd in calling it , A largely shia university..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/world/mi...ted=2&th&emc=th

For now, it is Sunni violence that shatters neighborhood calm and draws the Shiites out, perpetuating the war. A bombing at a largely Shiite university on Tuesday that killed about 70 has already prompted Mahdi militia members to reinstate some checkpoints in eastern Baghdad, residents said. A drive-by shooting on the same day in the upscale Shiite neighborhood of Binouk that killed 12 has set revenge reactions into motion.

The speech of Maliki to some western reporters yesterday had a lot of focus. Away from the speech itself, it seems that some reporters need a lot of help in translation.

The Italian reporter went so far in putting a lot of words in maliki’s mouth. Something that his spoke’sman . Aldabagh, suggested that the newspaper to consider putting some budget to improve translation quality. He said that the whole speech was posted on Maliki web site and has nothing related to some points that the Italian reporter claimed. He added that the speech was not one to one , but one to many reporters.

In the Arabic official copy “posted on Baghdadee”, Almaliki was commenting on Bush’s remarks to PBS. Maliki said that Sadam was not hanged in a revenge but through a court conviction. When he was asked about the Italian PM remarks, Maliki pointed to the Italian Mussolini hang on a post just after 5 min long court.

Maliki said that President Bush is one of the toughest leader in the current history but he might be under sever pressure, especially after the Congress elections.

When asked about Rice’s comments that Maliki government is running out of time. He said that She is free to express her concerns in what it is related US government. We don’t feel time is ran out for us, we are confident of victory.

I have a feeling that this speech sent a very strong message to emphasize Maliki leadership... He is gathering more cards in his hand, specially the win of Iraqis harts.

The win of Iraqi soccer team in Gulf championship today gave him another boost..

Due to the importance of this topic, the Moderator has decided to re-open this topic for a public discussion.

نظرا لآهمية موضوع معركة بغداد وتأثيره على الساحة العراقية قرر مدير الموقع اعادة فتح الموضوع للمناقشة العامة.

Exerpt from Pres. Bush on USATODAY re. Iraq

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...ush-qanda_x.htm

work on reforming Social Security.

Iraq

Q: You're in the midst of a program to try to explain your new program (on Iraq). We've had no weapons of mass destruction, we've had continuing violence, we've had problems — are you afraid that people are going to just tune you out, in terms of Iraq?

A: People want to know whether or not we've got a plan to succeed. And I will tell them that the plan I have … and what I will then summarize in the speech, again, is the best chance to succeed. A lot of Americans understand that failure … could lead to great danger for the United States — if we fail in Iraq, this country becomes less secure.

Q: Are you seeing any evidence that people are listening or responding to your argument?

A: What matters is what happens on the ground. That would be the best way to show the American people that the strategy, the new strategy I've outlined, will work.

Q: Are you worried about a mass exodus from your party over Iraq?

A: There's no question there's a lot of skepticism, both Republicans and Democrats. And the best way to convince them that this makes sense is to implement it and show them that it works; show them that there is security in the capital … And what I would say to the members of Congress … for those who have condemned the plan before it had a chance to work, that you have a special obligation to put forth a plan that you think will work.

Q: Now Gen. Casey said today we're talking a surge of four to six months. Now after six months, can people start looking forward to bringing troops home?

A: We don't set timetables in this administration because an enemy will adjust their tactics based upon perceived action by the United States.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki

Q: What specifically do you see in (al-Maliki) to make you think he is, in fact, the right guy for Iraq?

A: The Iraqi government has put out benchmarks. They have said they're going to move brigades into Baghdad, which is necessary to have the security plan work.

Last time … Iraqi battalions didn't show up in Baghdad, and there weren't enough troops to clear and hold. And so the prime minister, in the plan that he submitted to his people and worked with us on, said, "I will commit three brigades." And he said he has done so.

Secondly, he said the rules of engagement will be changed. In other words, Iraqi troops and U.S. troops will be able to chase down these death squad leaders and these people that are wreaking havoc on some of the neighborhoods inside of Baghdad, regardless of their political affiliation. I said that's important. And then notice the other day that 500 or 600 (Shiite) militia have been brought to justice as a result of … primarily Iraqi-led operations with U.S. help.

And so those are two areas right there on the security front where he has said he's going to do something, and he's beginning to do it. What matters to me is what happens on the ground.

Thirdly … we're beginning to see some progress toward an oil law. And my point to … the government, particularly Prime Minister Maliki, is we appreciate you saying you're going to do these things and now is the time for you to do them, and he's beginning to.

Q: What makes you think he really will? Because there seems like some tension between him and you or him and the Secretary of State?

A: What?

Q: Well, he criticized your comments about the hanging (of Saddam Hussein), for example.

A: I have got a good working relationship with Prime Minister Maliki. What matters, though, David, is his primary audience is the Iraqi people. He was elected after 12 million people went to the polls. Most people want to live in peace. Most people want to have a chance to succeed in life. Most people want the riches of a country shared.

And so the prime minister and his government put out plans to spend $10 billion to help with jobs and to help improve people's lives. He said he's going to do it, and the Iraqi people expect him to do it, and so do we.

Iraq after Bush's presidency

Q: Now I've often heard you say during the campaign, "The job of the president is to confront problems, not to pass them on to future presidents or future generations." Is Iraq going to be a problem for the next president?

A: The war on terror will be a problem for the next president. Presidents after me will be confronting with this, with an enemy that would like to strike the United States again, an enemy that is interested in spreading their vision — I call it a totalitarian vision of governance — an enemy that will kill innocent people to achieve their objectives and an enemy that would like to acquire weapons that could do serious damage.

This will be a long struggle. That's one reason why I believe it's important to increase the size of our United States Army and Marines, so future presidents will be in a position to utilize our military, if need be, to stay on the offense. It's also why I felt like the ruling … on (the) terrorist surveillance program was very important, because presidents will need to use this tool to better protect the homeland.

Q: Where do you see Iraq on Jan. 20, 2009? What kind of shape will it be in?

A: I see, first of all, Baghdad as a place where Iraqis, more and more, are taking the lead in operations, just like they did the other day in taking the lead against (Shiite) killers, but operations against people who would do harm to the Iraqi citizens. I see an atmosphere that had been affected by violence begin to change, and for people to begin to have faith in their government. I see the Iraqi government working the reconciliation process with an oil law, and changing the de-Baathification law — in other words, working for unity. I see a young government getting confidence, this unity government getting confidence, so that it can govern itself and sustain itself.

Q: Will the U.S. be out of Iraq in January of '09?

A: That's a timetable; I just told you we don't put out timetables. But I agreed with the Baker-Hamilton commission report that we need to be in a position where the Iraqis are in the lead and we would be embedded and/or training … additional Iraqi forces so that the people see that there's security on their behalf, and it's secured by Iraq.

تحدث الرئيس بوش في مقابلة أجرتها معه صحيفة USA TODAY ونشرت مقتطفات من ردوده في عددها الصادر الإثنين عن القضايا التي سيتناولها في خطابه عن حالة الإتحاد الذي سيلقيه الثلاثاء أمام أعضاء مجلسي الشيوخ والنواب.

قال الرئيس بوش إنه سيذكر الكونجرس بأنه يتعين علينا أن نظهر للشعب الأميركي على أننا قادرون على تحقيق بعض الاهداف الكبيرة وإنه يتعين علينا أن نتعاون جميعا جمهوريين وديمقراطيين لاتاحة مزيد من الفرص والأمل أمام الأميركيين.

ومضى الرئيس إلى القول إنه سيخصص جزءا لا بأس به من خطابه للحديث عن الحرب على الإرهاب، وقال إنه سيتبع الخطاب الذي ألقاه الأسبوع الماضي وتحدث فيه عن إستراتيجية جديدة في العراق بمزيد من الحديث عن العراق إي إنه سيتطرق إلى الوضع في العراق ضمن إطار أوسع ، ضمن ما يعنيه الوضع في العراق بالنسبة لقضايا الأمن داخل الولايات المتحدة .

وقالت الصحيفة إن الرئيس بوش تحدث عن الكيفية التي زادت بها سياسة الولايات المتحدة الخارجية من نشر الحرية في العالم ومساعدة الذين يعانون من المرض والجوع.

وردا على سؤال عن محاولته شرح برنامجه الجديد المتعلق بالعراق، قال الرئيس بوش إن الشعب يرغب في معرفة ما إذا كانت لدينا خطة لتحقيق النجاح. وقال إنه سيعلمهم بأن الخطة التي تحدث عنها ستكون الافضل من أجل تحقيق النجاح. وقال إن الأميركيين يتفهمون أنه إذا فشلنا في العراق فإن ذلك يعني تعرض الولايات المتحدة لأخطار كبيرة .

وعندما سئل الرئيس عما إذا كان لديه ما يثبت أن المواطنين سيستمعون أو أنهم سيتقبلون حجته رد قائلا، إن ما يعنينا هو ما يحدث على الأرض، وهذا سيكون أفضل طريقة كي نظهر للشعب الأميركي أن الإستراتيجية التي تحدثت عنها ستؤتي ثمارها.

ومضت الصحيفة إلى القول إن الرئيس بوش تطرق إلى ما سيقوله لأولئك الذين نددوا بخطته من أعضاء الكونجرس قبل أن تتاح الفرصة أمام خطته كي تأتي ثمارها، أنه تقع عليهم مسؤولية خاصة تتمثل في أنه يتعين عليهم التقدم بخطة بديلة يعتقدون أنها أفضل وستعمل.

وعندما سئل عما إذا كان باستطاعة الشعب الأميركي أن يتوقع بعد مضي ستة أشهر البدء في عودة القوات الأميركية، قال الرئيس بوش إن هذه الحكومة لا تضع جداول زمنية لذلك لأن العدو سيغير من أساليبه بناء على ما يتوقعه من إجراءات تقوم بها الولايات المتحدة.

ومضت الصحيفة إلى القول إن الرئيس بوش قال عن حكومة رئيس الوزراء العراقي نوري المالكي إنها تحدثت عن نقل ثلاثة ألوية من الجيش العراقي تستدعي اليها الضرورة إلى بغداد من أجل تطبيق خطة أمنية في العاصمة. وقال بوش إنه تربطه بالمالكي علاقات عمل طيبة. وقال إن الحكومة العراقية تنوي إنفاق 10 مليارات الدولارات لخلق فرص عمل للشعب العراقي وتحسين ظروف حياته وأن الشعب العراقي ينتظر منه أن يفعل ذلك .

وعندما سئل بوش عن المواجهة مع إيران قال إن موقفنا واضح جدا، فإذا ألقت قواتنا القبض على إيرانيين ينقلون السلاح إلى داخل العراق لإلحاق الأذى بجنودنا أو بالجنود العراقيين فإننا سنتعامل معهم بمعنى أننا لا نريد مثل هذه الأسلحة أو الجماعات التي تنقل هذه الأسلحة إلى داخل العراق. كما قال إن موقف الولايات المتحدة فيما يتعلق بامتلاك إيران أسلحة نووية واضح كل الوضوح. وقال إن ما أعلنته الولايات المتحدة بالنسبة لهذا الموضوع رددته دول أخرى إضافة إلى مجلس الأمن الدولي وروسيا والصين وجميعها أخضعت إيران للفصل السابع من ميثاق الأمم المتحدة الذي يوجه رسالة واضحة إلى الشعب الإيراني مفادها أن حكومته تعمل على عزل بلادهم عن بقية دول العالم.

A decision by AlMaliki went smooth yesterday. No much attention by the media. Though it might flag a very interesting shift by his government toward the most sensitive issue, the religious one.

Almaliki decided to stop the government finance to the Iraqi Muslim pilgrmis to Mecca starting from next year... The program was supposed to cost the government about 30 millions dollars a year. The government used to pay that amount to subsidize pilgrmis travel to Mecca..Almaliki governement was not an exception. A spoke’s man to Maliki told Iraqia TV today that” there will be no such support starting from next year; the money should go to other critical fields than to help people to do their religious duties. It is not government responsibility to subsidize such cost. “

The spoke’s man added that this decision was made after consulting the religious authorities which agreed that those who financially can’t make it are not supposed to go.

Indeed I was thinking of writing about this long time ago from other prospective. The government should not be biased to any sect or religion... However, I thought it might not be an appropriate call to make while Iraq is under such sever environment with it’s government being challenged by so many radical religious groups who might find it their opportunity to argue that the Americans are the one behind such move to stop any government funding to religious activity. I never thought that a government who is facing an accusation of being religiously motivated could make such hard decision without hesitation..

It might go smooth and many in the west never hear about. To the Iraqi standards, such a move could be possible with a very strong leadership that would not hesitate to make the very hard decisions when there is a real need for...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/world/mi...ast/22iraq.html

This is a very disturbing and serious incident. The terror groups, who were able to fake the Iraqi Army and police to blame these forces on sectarian killing, now are even able to fake the US’s...

Their intention was to give credit to the Sadrees for doing it. Some western media and reporters went that way but then when the details came up, they simply withdrew the focus waiting for more details.

It is very clear that the US military is penetrated; such uniforms and ammunitions can’t be possible to fake without some one leaking them to the terrorists...

North Babil is the sanctuary for Alqaeda terrorists where former Sadamist intelligence officers changed loyalty. The attack was well planned by chosing neighboring Kerbala “just 40 miles away” to looks like an Aladree’s act.

On other hand, the anti Iraq stability media tried their best to convince Sadrees that the coming security plan is nothing but to wipe them and place Sadamist and Qaeda ! Very effective propaganda to motivate Sadrees to stand against the plan. However, it seems that Maliki had succeeded in convincing all political parties that this has nothing to be against any party, it is only against any one who try to kill Iraqis..Any of them.. Alsadree's announce their support to the plan, some Tawafuc Sunni arab representatives went same way

New details also emerged about clashes on Saturday in the Shiite holy city of Karbala, which left five Americans dead. Lt. Col. Scott R. Bleichwehl, an American military spokesman, said the gunmen who stormed the provincial governor’s office during a meeting between American and local officials were wearing what appeared to be American military uniforms in an effort to impersonate United States soldiers.

The sophisticated attack hinted at what could be a new threat for American troops as they start a fresh security plan centered on small bases in Baghdad’s bloodiest neighborhoods, where soldiers will live and work with Iraqi forces. Military officials have said that one of their greatest concerns is that troops will be vulnerable to attack from killers who appear to be colleagues.

It is not uncommon for gunmen to impersonate Iraqi security forces, but this seems to be the first time that attackers have tried to disguise themselves as Americans.

Colonel Bleichwehl declined to provide further details about the Karbala attackers, emphasizing that the attack was still being investigated. But Iraqi officials said the gunmen disguised their intent with uniforms, American flak jackets, guns and a convoy of at least seven GMC sport utility vehicles, which are usually used by American officials in Iraq.

Karbala’s provincial governor, Akeel al-Khazaali, said at a news conference that the local police at a checkpoint on the city’s edge waved the vehicles through because they believed the convoy held important Americans. At other checkpoints, the police said, the vehicles sped through without stopping. In one case, some of the impersonators fired their weapons, and when they reached the provincial offices, they simply attacked.

The police in Babil said the disguises were imperfect — officers at checkpoints saw that the men were bearded, they said — but sufficient to get the gunmen through a crowded, heavily patrolled city without being searched.

After the attack, which was repelled by American forces, the police said, the gunmen fled north into Babil Province, where several sport utility vehicles matching the description of those used in the attack were found Sunday.

Mr. Khazaali said the identities of the gunmen were unknown. Other Iraqi officials said the clues pointed to Sunni groups based in Elbu Alwan, a Sunni stronghold about 25 miles north of Karbala in Babil Province. Four of the vehicles were found there early Sunday morning, the police said.

They said American and Iraqi troops immediately surrounded the town and were still searching the area on Sunday.

Some police commanders in Babil Province and Mr. Khazaali said one of the recovered vehicles in Elbu Alwan held three American bodies and a fourth soldier who was critically wounded. Mr. Khazaali also said that at least one additional American had been kidnapped. But American military officials said they were not missing anyone, and other police commanders in Babil said the men found in the vehicle were gunmen.

The sport utility vehicles also held clues of the attackers’ elaborate efforts to pass as American. One had a sign on its back window warning drivers to stay back, in English and Arabic, the authorities said, a close copy of those used on some official American vehicles. They also said a bag of civilian American clothing, guns and body armor had been found in the vehicles.

The police said two other empty vehicles were found in Sadda, about 15 miles north of Hilla, the major city in the province.

Two speeches , two strong leaders .. Maliki speech today in the Iraqi Parliament was nothing less than Bush's two days ago to the Congress.

What is different for Maliki, he got the anonymous support for his plan, while Bush got a majority denounce ..

Almaliki went one step further, he said that the planned surge in US military was not intended to be a core to the Baghdad security plan, Iraqi forces can do the job. "We asked for them as a reserve that can give a hand in case we need it", he told the legislators.. He added " please don't push us to ask for that, it is planned by us and will be executed by us, it the first major operation by us and we need to keep it as a test ".

Almaliki asked the Parliament to approve the extension of emergency law for another two months.. He said that he doesn't need it for Baghdad because the anti terrorist law can cover that operations but he needed for other areas where he can deal with provinces. He gave the Anbar council as example when he placed the council in place of the Anbar goverrnator to face the terrorists. He said similar council is necessary else where such us in Diala province.. He insisted that the plan was an Iraqi one from beginning and it will be of three main dimensions , the services, economy incentive and forcing of law.. He said that there will be five committees to follow the plan including the political and media .. He asked the poets and the musicians to participate, some thing that remind me of the effective Sadam's wars propaganda

Almaliki got the Parliament approval to the extension, after long debate with some Radical Sunni Arab Legislatures. They showed some concerns about the current Haifa operations in central Baghdad that was trying to eliminate the terrorists groups from that very critical area.Haifa stret is where many high rising residential buildings are standing where Sadam granted his loyalists apartments. The terrorists , including Qaeda and Sadamists, use the roofs of these buildings as sniping posts to kill Iraqis on the streets. Two days a go they even shot a helicopter killing five personals.. In a TV interview , some of those captured yesterday admitted their involvement in the killing of the Kurd journalist last month in Haifa street. She was working for Iraqia TV. The Iraqi forces captured some very big unexpetected meapons store in the Karhk high school !

Almaliki tried to push the Parliament asking for faster process in approving the current sustained Laws, specially the 2007 Government budget and the Oil law.

Today , Ali Aldabagh, Maliki's spokesman told reporters that there will be special arrangement to expedite the process of benefits for those army/police personals who are killed or disabled.. Some thing that I mentioned the importance of couple days ago

Almaliki in his speech mentioned what I had referred too that many terrorists head figures are escaping Baghdad. He said that this is to the benefit of the plan. Baghdad will be secured by a firm security ring.. I think the plan is to avoid any serious clash that might hurt citizens of a six million people city. He said, let them go, that prove that they are sure how much serious this plan is. We will follow on them, there will be no sancturay for any.. He said that no places including Shia or Sunni reliouse ones will be saved from search for killers and weapons..

On other hand the anti stability media kept it's propaganda to send a confusing messages to all parties.. Yesterday on the Iranian Alalam TV, there was a dialogue that accommodate Mr. Hasan Zarkanee a close aid to Muqtada, Ms. Mariam Alrayes, consultant to the PM and Mr. Bawaree, media head of Kurd Talabani party.. The interviewer tried his best in making it as a fact that the current security plan is nothing but to wipe out the Sadrees, he quoted many NYT times articles and some unofficial American figures statements.. To my surprise, Zarkanee was very aware of such attempts and was so clear in saying that Alsadrees will be in full support to the plan and they will be very pleased to see Iraqi forces taking their duties in protecting people , so no need for the public to take it on their own.. Alrayess and Barwaree confirmed that the plan is not toward any political party or sect, it is just apply rule of law and to pacify the Capital as a step to get rid of non governmental armed presence..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/26/world/mi...ast/26iraq.html

Very interesting coverage by NYT reporter.. After enjoying the reading , I have one question. How come then all members of the Parliament voted for Maliki plan ? Something happen for first time. Why didn't the report mention such important incident..?

The debate was not about Maliki but about concerns that some legistlators had , both Shia and Sunni, of bad guys in the Iraqi forces.

As for Aljanabi , he was defending the Haifa street terrorists calling them innocent civilians. Which made Maliki reply with his point..

January 25, 2007

Iraqi Official Offers Terms From Militia to Avoid Fight

By SABRINA TAVERNISE

BAGHDAD, Jan. 24 — An Iraqi official authorized to speak on behalf of field commanders for the country’s most powerful militia has approached Western military officials and laid out a plan to avoid armed confrontation, senior Iraqi and American officials said this week.

The official is Rahim al-Daraji, the elected mayor of the Sadr City district, the vast grid in the northeast corner of the capital that is the stronghold of the militia, the Mahdi Army. Mr. Daraji has met twice in the past two weeks with Lt. Gen. Graeme Lamb, a British officer who is the deputy commanding general in Iraq, said a senior Iraqi official in the office of the prime minister.

During the meetings, which took place on Jan. 17 and, most recently, on Monday, Mr. Daraji laid out a proposal from what he said were all the major political and militia groups in Sadr City, the senior Iraqi official said. The groups were eager to head off a major American military offensive in the district, home to two million Shiites, as the Americans begin a sweeping new effort to retake the streets of Baghdad.

Mr. Daraji said in an interview that field commanders would forbid their foot soldiers to carry guns in public if the American military and the Iraqi government met several basic demands, mostly involving ways to ensure better security for Sadr City. He is communicating with the commanders through a Shiite politician who is close to them.

“The task is to eliminate the armed presence in Sadr City,” he said. “To confiscate illegal weapons,” carried openly by militia members in public places.

The talks appeared to have been the first between an intermediary for the Mahdi militia and a senior commander from the American effort. The military fought the militia twice in 2004, and the militia’s leader, Moktada al-Sadr, a renegade cleric who is virulently anti-American, has resolutely refused to meet with American officials of any kind.

Even so, it was far from clear whether Mr. Daraji, who said he was not related to Abdel Hadi al-Daraji, the former spokesman for Mr. Sadr who was arrested on murder charges last week, was even able to speak for the sprawling, grass-roots militia, which, according to American military estimates, numbers at least 7,000 in Baghdad alone.

Saleh al-Agheli, a member of Parliament from Mr. Sadr’s political bloc, said the bloc’s political committee had “blessed and supported” the effort by Mr. Daraji.

The meetings were very preliminary, officials stressed, and came as the American military was stepping up pressure on Mr. Sadr’s militia. It was not clear how American officials received the efforts. They are already making some headway against Shiite militias without help from Mr. Daraji and his supporters.

A spokesman for General Lamb declined to comment. “The general meets with a number of people in the course of his duty,” he said. “We respect the confidence of those meetings.”

The American ambassador, Zalmay Khalilzad, confirmed that meetings had taken place and said that Mr. Daraji had told representatives from the American Embassy and from the military that local residents would not challenge weapons searches by American soldiers.

“He said all the right things at this point,” Mr. Khalilzad said, but added that it was too soon to tell if the offer would lead to anything more concrete.

Controlling the militia — at the heart of the new strategy President Bush announced this month — is no easy task. Mr. Sadr’s political bloc was instrumental in installing Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, and he has often gone out of his way to protect Mr. Sadr’s allies.

But in recent months, Mr. Maliki appears to have changed his approach, Mr. Khalilzad said, allowing for more arrests and for the Americans to apply tough military action. Talks with Mr. Sadr had not produced the desired results, Mr. Khalilzad said.

“He felt that he had exhausted and relied too much on political engagement,” Mr. Khalilzad said in a news briefing. “He became disappointed that he didn’t produce as much results as he would have hoped.”

Mr. Daraji said he represented 14 political and military groups in Sadr City. He said local residents, including Mahdi Army commanders, wanted to find ways to work with the Americans to avoid any large-scale confrontation. Commanders would tell militiamen to keep their weapons off the streets, he said, if Americans agreed to certain demands.

Some of the actions Mr. Daraji said he had requested in exchange for the promises from the militias seemed likely to draw stony stares from American military officials, namely to stop conducting raids in Sadr City and to release a number of those who had been arrested.

But other demands — to provide jobs for Sadr City residents, to bring in new construction projects and to triple the number of police stations there — seemed more realistic.

The government official, who works as an aide to Mr. Maliki, said he trusted Mr. Daraji.

“There is an honesty with this man,” said the official. “The chances for success are higher than before.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/25/world/mi...r=1&oref=slogin

The talks appeared to have been the first between an intermediary for the Mahdi militia and a senior commander from the American effort. .

I don't know from where the writer brought this up.. Aldarajee is a member of Alsadree's rival SIRC.. Today , Mr. Bahaa Alajee confirmed that the talk was carried by Mr. Darajee as Mayor of the city and has nothing to do with representing Alsadrees in a direct talk. He said that direct talk is not possible before accepting a schual of troops withdraw.

However, the Sadrees showed very big support for Maliki plan and announced their full cooperation and disarm if the Iraqi forces take their duty in protecting people from Qaeda and Sadamists..

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/01/26/...a.ap/index.html

More about Karbala attack..

The Karbala raid, as explained by Iraqi and American officials, began after nightfall at about 6 p.m. on January 20, while American military officers were meeting with their Iraqi counterparts on the main floor of the Provisional Joint Coordination Center, known as the PJCC, in Karbala. (Watch how the sneak attack was carried out)

What is very unsuall , no one claimed responsibility. No any focus by anti new Iraq Arab media.. It looks to me the plan was to blame Alsadrees's but the way the operation ended up made them changing their plans.

Albu Alwan and Mahaweel is to the west of Karbala on the edge of the "triangler of death" on the road between Karbala and Baghdad where most barbaric criminal Sadamist and Qaeda has bases..

The Iraqi Legistlator who confronted Maliki yesterday is from that region too. His cousin Shikh Abdulah Aljanabee was the one who run the death squads in falouja before the American attack two years ago.

If this is the plan ... it would be a disaster

==========================

U.S. Plan for Iraqi Force Surprises Senator

By Walter Pincus

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, January 27, 2007; A12

Army Lt. Gen. David H. Petraeus, the new top U.S. commander in Iraq, told Congress that he might supplement efforts to secure Baghdad using the Iraqi Facilities Protection Service, a 150,000-man force that guards Iraqi government agencies. But that service is widely considered unreliable, and elements were described in July by Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki as "more dangerous than the militias," according to Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.).

"The prime minister said he wanted to get rid of the FPS as fast as possible," Reed said this week, recalling his meeting with Maliki in Baghdad last summer. There are "bad elements" in FPS units that "are carrying out murders and kidnappings . . . [and] attacking the infrastructure that they are supposedly protecting," Reed said in his trip report about what Maliki had told him. "Because of the FPS," Reed wrote, Maliki said that "some governmental ministries' guards are more dangerous than the militias."

The FPS was formed in 2003 by order of L. Paul Bremer, then administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority, to protect the 27 Iraqi ministries and their facilities throughout Iraq. Each minister, who generally represents one of Iraq's political parties, has his or her own FPS unit, whose armed members wear military uniforms.

The Iraq Study Group described FPS members as having "questionable loyalties and capabilities." It quoted an unnamed senior U.S. official as saying that they are "incompetent, dysfunctional and subversive," with some serving the manpower needs of sectarian party militias and death squads.

Reed said in an interview that, with security being the main concern of President Bush in pressing for additional U.S. troops in Baghdad, he was "surprised" that Petraeus would describe FPS units, also known as ministerial security forces, as assisting in the protection of the city. The Senate confirmed Petraeus yesterday as the new top U.S. commander in Iraq.

"There are tens of thousands of contract security forces and ministerial security forces that do, in fact, guard facilities and secure institutions, and so forth," Petraeus said in testimony earlier this week, "that our forces -- coalition or Iraqi forces -- would otherwise have to guard and secure."

When Reed responded that he was "shocked" that the FPS was mentioned in those terms -- because Maliki had told him "that some of these ministerial forces are worse than the insurgents" -- Petraeus replied: "Some, indeed." Later, in answer to a question, the Army general acknowledged that "some of those ministerial forces are part of the problem instead of part of the solution."

Maliki was not the only official who spoke to Reed in July regarding concerns about the FPS. Army Lt. Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, commander of the Multi-National Security Transition Command-Iraq, described the FPS members, along with about 8,700 personal security guards provided to Iraqi political figures, as among "the proliferation of armed groups . . . [presenting] a serious challenge to stability." Dempsey said the Iraqi Defense Ministry paid the salaries of the personal security details "but has no control over them." Each of the 275 members of Iraq's Council of Representatives, as its national assembly is called, is entitled to 20 guards, many of whom are chosen from within their families.

Dempsey was particularly critical of the FPS, saying: "They have a reputation for gross misconduct." He specified as "particularly notorious" the FPS units associated with the ministries of transportation and health, both under the control of associates of Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. The FPS units employed by those ministries are "a source of funding and jobs for the Mahdi Army," Sadr's militia, according to the Iraq Study Group report.

Dempsey told Reed last summer that the FPS and the personal security details "should be reformed" and "outfitted with different uniforms to distinguish them from the police and clearly identify them." More recently, Dempsey told reporters that the FPS should be brought under the control of Iraq's Interior Ministry this year.

In Basra, Reed was told by Maj. Gen. John Cooper, commander of the British troops in that area, that the FPS was "a major problem." In Fallujah, members of the Marine Expeditionary Force said that when they retook the hospital in Ramadi, local leaders insisted "that the FPS be barred from returning because of their corruption and unreliability."

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), upon returning from a brief trip to Iraq this month, announced that she will introduce legislation that would require -- as a condition of continued funding -- certification that the FPS and the private security contractors for the Iraqis are free of sectarian and militia influence.

"Instead of cutting funding to American troops, cut the funding to the Iraqi forces and to the security forces . . . that we pay for to protect the members of this government," Clinton said last week on the PBS's "NewsHour with Jim Lehrer." "We have to do something to get their attention in order to force them to deal with the political and the economic and the diplomatic pieces of the puzzle that confront us," she added.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

http://sotaliraq.com/iraq-news.php?id=44126

In Arabic.. The same Legislator who accused the Governemnt of killing innocents in Haifa and Latifia, is accusing the governement of planning to make the Sunni Arab fighting each other by supporting the uprise council in Latifia, similar to Anbar council..

Have a look to his photo..

The Battel of Kerbala is bringing more attention while the Battel of Kufa/Najaf is almost came to an end ..

More than two millions Irfaqis waked to Karbala over the last three days, the Ashura observance is expected to reach it's momuntum by Tuesday noon with expected of three millions people to attend..

More than 20 suiciders were captured over the last fourdays , trying to sneak through to pentrate and croos the nine security rings

The battels of Najaf pointed that there might be a link to Qaeda as there are many Arabs from Sudan, egypt , lebanon, Sudi captured .. More than 500 killed and captured..

This is will give a very good signal for Maliki to start his Baghdad one!

ومن جانب اخر توقع بعض من الشخصيات السياسية وشيوخ العشائر من احتمال انظمام افراد جيش المهدي الى المقاومة ودعمها الا ان مقتدى الصدر اصدر توجيهاته الى اتباعه بالامتناع من تقديم اي اسناد او دعم للمقاومين واذا ما دخلوا الكوفة وصطدموا مع القوات الامريكية التزام المساكن وعدم التعرض للامريكان وبهذه التعليمات اعطى مقتدى الصدر دليل اخر على تواطئه مع الامريكان وتأيده للحكومة العميلة في المنطقة الخضراء...

شبكة البصرة

الاثنين 11 محرم 1427 / 29 كانون الثاني 2007

يرجى الاشارة الى شبكة البصرة عند اعادة النشر او الاقتباس

Above text is from the Sadamist web site albasrah.net which used to cover the Sadamist terrorists activities ..The site supports the Heaven army of Najaf incident as the national resistance .. The text above denounce Muqtada for not helping the fighters. According to the site this as peove that Asader is collaborating with Americans and is supporting the government