Baghdadee بغدادي

New Iraq Constitution

What just announced about the ammendments , are amazing!

There will be a committe by the new assembly to revise any clause in the current draft and to be voted for on same bases of this one..

There are six fine tunning items. Mainly the one related to debaathification, where it was emphasised that being a former Baathi doesn't mean a rerason to loss any rights or be under the debaathification rules.

Also the granting of citizenship for the kids from an Iraqi women who is married to no Iraqi, this need to be implemented by a law, though the granting is valid. Also emphasising the Arab dimension of Iraq and usage of Arabic language in all autonoumos regions.

Though all expectations was that the draft would pass even without these amendmends, but it was critical to keep it acceptable by as more Iraqis as possible

Today, only extreem radicals and criminals are against the draft, there might no possible way to get them a long.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft get rejected by 69% of Iraqis.. That is what the current pool by Aljezera web site viewers had expecped till now!

Indeed such polls on a web site has avery intersting dimention, one of these dimentions is that Aljezera web site is not very popular among Iraqis . Such hop would realy reflect a major radical Arab pecentage among the visitors!!

The most important added item is about the possibilty of revising the current draft by a committe from the next assembly within the first four months. This is a critical change from the previous one where any serious change should not come before eight years, that is two rounds of the assembly.

Practically this would mean the negotiation on the constitution is elongated for another six month but not by extending the temporary current period and the role of UN on Iraq and the interm law rule,. This point by self will put a lot of presure on those who are asking to denounce the current draft. Because they will be looked at as the one who wants to delay the Iraqi full soverignty return.. The point Which is the most critical in their propaganda against the political process.

salim

Thanks for your reporting on the (mostly) positive recent results of the Iraq Constitution draft. I believe Iraq is moving towards becoming the Crown Jewel of Mesopotamian Democracy and a model for all people in the Middle Eastern Countries. In Iraqs near future your elected officials can be removed by the Iraqi people if they don't work hard for the benefit of all your fellow citizens. That is the true power for the Iraqi people and you deserve that. I am especialy proud to see that most Iraqi's are standing up to the Sadamee & al Queda Terrorist.

Tex

CNN invented new scale to measure volumes

Engineers invented different scales to measure volumes, not only physical volumes but some other measures too. However CNN came with a very interesting way to measure political parties volums and political effect. For example two days ago, a well orchestrated report by CNN put the Sunni Islamic party of Iraq as THE biggest Sunni party. Today a report put that party as to represent SOME sunni's. SO one might ask about the measure that CNN reporters used in scalling the political power of any party in a country where there is not yet a mature public opion measuring mechanisms. I can tell you the measure that these reproters had invented.. They look to the party stand toward the draft. Two days ago the same party issued a strong call to denounce it, today same party came up with agreement to accept it!! So like stock market, analysists give thump down ! nothing to do with reality but expectations! Let us wait and see , if CNN political stock analysists are right. I personally don't trust the NY stock market ones!!!

Tex,

Thank you for your "restricted" complement.. Many of my friends accuse me of being too optimist , may be more than Presdent Bush! I have very simple comment to them. There is always a half full of a glass. Thursty people point always to that half, those who are realy not in need to, point the other.

The question is which one you are. Lebral Westren and Arab radical Media want to push us to look to the empty part of it for one simple reason, they want us be the one who are not in need to.

Just have a look to the last two and half years, how do think historians will document it. ? Are they going to say that there were some radicals and terrorists who were opposing a nation freedom, or they say there was a great leader of a great nation who helped the Iraqi democracy and freedom! You and me will not be there, but we can read back the American revolution history and see how the historian documented the french role and the American pioneer free fighters..

Salim,

I didn't mean it to be a "restricted" compliment Salim and I also share your optimisim. I was rushed for time this AM and perhaps didn't express myself very well. My intention was to compliment you on your reporting (both the good and the ugly) while still maintaining a positive attitude. THAT (IMHO) is important from Iraqis during the birth of your new nation. Keep a can do "attitude" and work hard to make your Government truly accountable to the People of Iraq.

As you probably know we had two terrible storms (hurricanes) in the USA, one of which caused a lot of damage in my area. Consequently I have not had much time to get accurate information & news quickly except from briefly from bogs like this.

I am very thankful to you in particular for keeping me up on the progress being made in Iraq. I dont have alot of confidence in most of the Medias Reports and do like seeing the Iraqi perspective from all of the Iraqi's participating here at bagddadee's.

I was told as a young man that "attitudes are contagious -- is yours worth catching?" I salute you for keeping a positive attitude though all your country has suffered thru. That is an attitude worth catching !!

Thanks again

Tex

Tex,

I am so sorry for not being able to made up to this blog ,the Iarqi condolences to people who suffered in that Hurricans. As you might heared , Iraqis were also hit by the Bridge disaster where more than thousand Iraqis crashed or drawn in one day, almost same time,. Please accept our sympathy to victims, Iraqis might not be able to do a lot but to pray for you to go out of it.

I was talking to one of my relatives days ago.. She is a well educated in her sixtees living with her three duaghters with no man in a hostile discret in Baghdad.. I was wondering if she will go for voting. She went through her difficulties managing her family with all types of problems and lack of water and electricity and fuel and how much difficult it will be for her youngest duaghter to attend as feshmen in the ellite Engineering college of Alnahrain "Sadam university" as the school is far from their place on the other southren side of baghdad and she was worried that there is no man at home to drive her every day, but her bright duagther is insisting because that college is like Stanford of Iraq. She went on and on .. I was listening and wondering if she already decided not to go to the voting. For me this need to be the most worring thing . I thought she might decided not to go this time, because last time she walked the mile long trip with her duaghters facing two Shells and one suicider. Then it came the moment, I asked " and about the voting". There was a monment of sielence then " Oh entikhabat" or " Oh ellection, this time it is easier , we have to walk just about 300 meters", I said "Is it safe?".. She went " what do you mean safe ? of course not. Me and the girls decided to go". That is all what she commented. Never complained or even described the details as she did with other stuff!! As if she is talking about a decision to go for shopping.. I asked , but don't you fear Alzarqawee criminals? She replyed "Oh those cowerd, we will give them a lesson!"

Do you know now why I am optimist?

As you said attitude is contagious!!

In hours, a new nation will emerge from thoudands years of neglegence . In hours a new history of iraq, of ME , of Arab , of Moslim world will start.

Let us all be to the moment, let us pray for those who choose freedom as only choice. Those unarmed women and men who will face the most brutal enemy, man kind ever knew..

Please pray for those who will fall, and those who will make it..We are lucky to live such moment, let us not miss it!

salim

In hours, a new nation will emerge from thoudands years of neglegence . In hours a new history of iraq, of ME , of Arab , of Moslim world will start.

Let us all be to the moment, let us pray.....

That last post of yours was good and sums up what many americans ( and many around the world ) share and hope for in a new Iraq.

I found this article at the al Jazeera website, it is an opinion post;

D32D8717BA51417AB38EA1AD98EBD56C.jpg

Iraq's federalism ensures justice

By Ali al-Awsi

Since the establishment of the Iraqi state in 1921, there has been little improvement in democratic conditions for ordinary Iraqi citizens.

Successive regimes have failed to get to grips with many issues, the main one being the discrimination among Iraq's regions, and this underlines the need for federalism as a solution to these persistent problems which have left Iraqis living under injustice and discrimination.

Iraqis and Arabs alike have been living with values inherited from successive tyrannical regimes which left behind suffocating legacies and robbed the people of their will.

That legacy has been based on consolidating the one-man-rule and establishing a climate of fear in which the public is unwilling to accept anything other than the centralised regime.

We now have an opportunity to change direction and Iraq needs a new culture that would stop the old values from continuing to flourish.

The autocratic rule which started in 1968 - the year the Baath Party assumed power in Iraq - was based on a monopolisation of power to the extent that even local municipalities could not make decisions without the permission of the absolute leader and his ruling party in Baghdad.

more at the link;

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D05...D01779439AE.htm

Another article from Reuters

Iraqis vote on new constitution; few attacks

By Luke Baker and Waleed Ibrahim

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - In unexpected calm, millions of Iraqis voted on Saturday in a referendum on a new constitution that is designed to reshape the country after Saddam Hussein but which many fear may tear it further apart.

Insurgents fought gunbattles with Iraqi and U.S. forces in Ramadi, west of Baghdad, but throughout the capital and much of the rest of the country, voting appeared to go smoothly and securely, with polls set to close at 5 p.m. (1400 GMT).

more at the link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051015/ts_nm/iraq_dc

So the situation this weekend in the US may be what is NOT reported.

The main stream media LOVES to report death,distruction and carnage over in Iraq.

If

this weekend, we get heavy coverage of america's pastime (BASEBALL! Four teams left playing for a championship, two teams then face off for the World Series championship )

then...

things in Iraq may be looking up ! No reason for our main stream media to report good news :blink:

hey

thats the way it is and at least many of us can see through it.

Look, see

an example here;

Flood reporting in northeastern United States;

woman in a boat reports from "flooded street"

:D

http://www.drudgereport.com/staged.jpg

:rolleyes:

The link is a picture of a perfect example of Main "Stream" Media making a

->mountain out of a mole hill<- ( that means making a big story out of nothing at all important )

They loved covering and reporting 10,000 dead in New Orleans, many women and children raped seeking shelter in a sports stadium.

but

none of it was true. they "knew" it had to be true and in short time it would be verified.

SO in short, coverage in the US this weekend of the Iraqi election should be the lead stories of every major media outlet and source

but

I believe what will happen is little word on Oct 15th events in Iraq will be reported because main stream media ( MSM ) wants to report negative news , not positive reporting :angry:

There is another saying in the US;

"No news is good news"

this I fully hope happens......if you can understand our twisted media pretzel logic :lol:

It was a long day/night , depending on where are you located on this small village called earth. The big turn over highlighted some aspects..

First let me confirm that all those who I contacted and whom participated in last Jan ellecttion had made it and are safe..

This huge turn over flags the final defeat of the terrorist , they might strick her or there choosing some soft civil targets, but it was very clear now to them and to the world that THE BLOOD is STRONGER than sord. And that terror choice of batteling democracy in Iraq was a bad one..

The other aspect is that this voting had united the country and not to the FEAR or may by WISH of some of our Arab brothers. Iraqis are closer to understand that only ballot boxes should resolve their problems

The third one is the results which went like this: In the south it was between moderate to low, in the center it was very high to high. In the north , Sulaimania was high, Arbil and Dohuk was moderate.

So what this could tell us.. If we correlate the terrorist activities geographically, we might find a huge match..!!

I think that most Iraqis in the centre "Sunni Arab or Shia Arab" who get hurt most by the criminal actions of Alqaeada and Sadamists, are the one who wanted most to defy through this move which was prohibted by the terrorists and their friends.

I don't ignore the factor of multi ethnic race in the centre where the demographic split of different groups at its extreem though . However this factor would not be applicable for the high rate in Kerbala, Hilla and Najaf where almost absolute majorityis Shia. Nevertheless these three provinces were badly hitted by terror.

The most interesting result was the difference between kurd Sulaimania "Talabani" and kurd Arbil "Barazani" ..I think there was a relaxing attitude of win that made Kurds not very interested to go. Adding to this that Barazani's party and people is a mong the most kurd nationalist, while Talabai and his people are more secular and moderate. Some Kurds nationalist weren't feel very comfort of the draft that ignore the self destinay right of Kurd.

The other interesting result was the moderate turtn over in the south. I think this was of the lack terror factor on one side, the relax feeling of win as second, and most important the bycott of some Sadrees right liners, who found the draft not as Islamic as it should be. One other point might be interesting .

The main question is , why we are talking about the turn over more than results.. I know the answer, because we trust our firm will of Iraqis, it is just we want to check how deep it is!!!

During the Iraq elections last January there were 347 terrorist attacks on voters and polling places. Today there were 13.

images_65.jpg

Link

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/55928561.jpg

Caption:

TAJI, IRAQ - OCTOBER 15: An Iraqi Sunni Arab shows his inked finger after voting in the constitutional referendum on October 15, 2005. The Sunni area of Taji is a hot bed of the insurgency where resistance fighters helped to organize the poll. (Photo by Ghaith Abdul-Ahad/Getty Images).

Sunni goes to the polls

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/55928814.jpg

Caption:

BAGHDAD, IRAQ: An Iraqi shows in Baghdad a leaflet depicting a donkey voting in front of a figure of Uncle Sam that was distributed by insurgents in the Sunni Muslim city of Mosul, north of Baghdad, 15 October 2005. Slogans on the leaflet reads: "Government of Iraq. Ballot box of the fools, sit in your house and curse the constitution". Voters from across Iraq's ethnic and religious spectrum flocked to cast ballots on the country's new constitution, but their vastly different motivations underlined the deep divisions within the country. AFP PHOTO/MARWAN NAAMANI (Photo credit should read MARWAN NAAMANI/AFP/Getty Images)

How many Sunni's voted YES ?

From another website;

"This Vote Was a Great Blow to the Terrorists"

Iraqi reader Haider Ajina emailed the following note about the Iraqi referendum on their new constitution:

Greetings All,

It seems that a larger percentage of Iraqis voted the constitutional ballot than in the election of January. 65-70%+ are the early numbers.

I spoke to my father last night about 8am his time in Nejaf and he said he was going to go vote at 9am. I did not get a hold of my Grand mother and cousins the lines to Baghdad were busy. I called my father gain around 9am my time. He said he had voted (yes for the constitution) and that the turnout was strong and matters were calm. Security in Nejaf was very good indeed he said. There are a number of neighborhood watches and Iraqi security patrols. He has not seen American soldiers patrolling the street in Nejaf for weeks now. His voice was strong and very very happy almost giddy I would say.

This vote alone was a great blow to the terrorists in Iraq. This was a great step towards a solid democracy in Iraq. The constitution now guarantees Iraqi’s rights and protects them from their government. The rule of law will prevail stronger now. I no longer fear for my Iraqi family from their government. They now truly hold their destiny in their hands, and they can plan for their future. The security issues are being dealt with on a daily basis and progress in Iraq is measurable and evident.

Again the Ajinas in California and in Iraq owe a great thank you to the men and women of the USA (military & civilians) who are making all of this possible. Thank you for all your sacrifices, all your hard work, and your tenacity and vision and thank you for a bright future.

Regards

Haider Ajina

Congradulations Iraq

I am glad you were free to vote your conscience.

I probably would have voted no because I don’t like laws of any Country based on a singular Identified Religion forced on all its people.

IF I am not mistaken, Islamic doctrine (and Islamic clerics) will have some veto powers over any future Constitutional amendments or other law proposed by soon to be elected officials come this December . ( that may still be one of the sticking points, along with fair representation & equitable national resource wealth sharing between Federal, but independent Provinces.)

On the other-hand, if I am not mistaken again this Constitution is only the framework document (at this point) delaying key critical points to be amended by duly elected officials of the people come the December elections.

I think this vote is a great step forward and any NO votes will be part of the reminder that this CONSTITUTION still needs a great deal more work to be fully acceptable should it pass. Of course a YES vote moves the process forward more quickly. I believe it took my country approx. 13 years to be finally ratified by all the States. There have been many amendments since. It should be a growing document that amends any inequalities for all out of it when they are recognized at a later time.

In either case “yes or no outcome” your elected officials (representatives) come December will have much on their plate to complete this document to the satisfaction of the people of Iraq.

Thank God you are now free to voice your opinion and vote your conscience with a YES or NO vote. Congradulations to all no matter how you voted. I believe you have a win win situation.

Tex

Tex