The Battle of Baghdad (Law Enforcement)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060906/ap_on_...o_rebuild_lh1_1

Nations compete for Lebanon rebuilding

I wish if Iraqi parties are smart enough to make others compete in rebuilding Iraq as they do with Lebanon..

We need to learn much from the Libanies lessons ..

I know that many countries are competing in Iraq, but not to rebuild though. The question is how we can change the dynamics..

I think one way is to have a nother "Hizbullah" donates money to Iraqis who loose their home in the terror attacks.. !!

“Dear Iraqi Citizen,

I would like to know how Iraq is really going, and I am concerned that the media in the USA (I live in Los Angeles) are only giving bad news all the time. I suspect there are many positive developments that do not get reported.

I would like to hear opinions of real Iraqis living everywhere, since that would be more informative to me.

I am Jewish, and while I hate terrorists and radical Islam, I deeply respect and admire moderate Islam.

I would consider it an honor and a privilege if you would add my blog “The Tygrrrr Express” www.blacktygrrrr.wordpress.com to your list of linked sites if you feel the quality is high.

Happy June and God Bless.

eric”

In a news conference , the Iraq minister of social affairs took all responsibilities of any wrong doing that might be happened in the child care center in Baghdad .. The center was under sever attack and propaganda by CBS American news who posted what the reporter called "a mass child abuse of Iraqi Orphans".. Have a look to below

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/18/...in2946007.shtml

The Minster declared that " investigation is still in progress, however till now there seems to be a huge exaggeration about it". He said that the center was not for Orphans but for mentally challenged . He accused some media of politically using the incident. In explaining the case , the minister went to say that the Childs were naked because it is 130 F and there is no electricity , and two of the kids were used to be roped by hands in order to prevent them from messing with their waste as their case was so sever to differentiate it from food.. He challenged the purpose of the troops ride that had happened around 2:30 am for no known reason on a mentally challenged kid's center. He went " Do you think it is reasonable to disturb the whole center at such late night times".He asked for full explanation for that raid. He also questioned the timing of lunching the propaganda , as raid had happen more than ten days ago.

The hospital that the kids were brought in, denied the news report details . A spoke'sman told the media that it had happened one month ago when US army brought 22 mentally challenged kids that had received necessary care from weakness and signs of beatings .The hospital spokesman added that some local residents brought them cloths and toys after that the American left with them without any information about their about and identity..

Iraqis were shocked for the earlier news that such abuse had happened to the Childs, many had asked for the upmost punishment to those responsible for such savage acts . One Iraqi went to blame the governemnt for such lack of care to the "sons or our barve Iraqis killed by Qaeda". However , more Iraqis are now feel that this might be another political propaganda targeting the government..Some thing that brough the fake story of Sabrin that was fabricated two days after the trigger of Baghd scurity plan.

One Iraqi lady questioned on a local web posting " how come such savage act is happening by center managers at a time the film showed so much well managed site and beds that even not available today at many Iraqis middle class homes ? how come the food and the cloths were stuffed in the stores , while the claim was to sell them in the local markets? Howcome the managers were smilling while the fotage was taking place?".. Another , who seems to be anti American, claimed that this is just an American propagande to wash the "ugly face of Americans soldiers who are killing our beloved in the streets of Bagdhad"

I have a feeling that this propaganda is just timed with the Qaeda wiping out operation and the other more shocking news of the Iraqi Tie kowando youth team mass killing. Their bodies were found by Alnabar awakening brave men just two days before the CBS posting.The team of teenage Olympic champions were kidnapped last year while they were on their way traveling by road to Jordan to represent Iraq national team.

Don't take me wrong. We have many who are working for Qaeda among us, though they might not know that or got fooled by Sadamists intellegence personals who heavily penetrated the Arab media after the fall of the Statue. Have a look to most of NYT reports from Baghdad as clear example

Three female caretakers and two men, including the director of the orphanage, were reportedly found cooking a meal for themselves in another room. The director fled afterwards, CBS News reported.

Either the MInister is lying or the CBS, who would cook at 2:30 am for dinner

Read more about the Minister news conference

http://www.iraqslogger.com/index.php/post/3282

The Qaeda affiliate "The Muslim scholars association" issued from Amman-Jordan, a condemnation to Maliki government for being responsible for the Child abuse ..

The Association had a similar condemnation to the Iraqi/US offensive on Qaeda in Diala yesterday..

The association fail short of issuing any condemnation the massacre of the Iraqi Olympic youth team by their affiliates in Anbar last year though..

I don't know if any of the US media had ever pointed to that tragic incident too

As in arabic sarcastic peom

Killing of an animal in the wildness is an unforgottable crime, killing of a nation is some thing to debate of

As the session came to an end, it was clear that the Iraqi had no sympathy for fighters from Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, who he said had intimidated the city’s residents and sought to force them to adhere to a strict Islamic code. Nor did he have a high opinion of Iraq’s security forces, whom he viewed as allies of renegade Shiite militias.

“Most of the people living in this neighborhood trust the Americans more than the Iraqi Army,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/22/world/mi...t/22baquba.html

I think the message that the reporter is trying to reach with is very important..

Today the general feeling among Sunni Arab Iraqies is that their bet on using Alqaeda had turn into a big loss.They need to have a better option. Such feeling could be well invested into fighting back Qaeda , they are the best who know where about the Qaeda network hide out . This is a real success by Nigroponte and Zadeh strategy in bridging the gap with the radical faction of Sunni Arab. Today we are getting fruits of that smart strategy. Some Shia or Kurds might be reluctant watching such growing relations between the former regime personals and the Americans, I would go differently..I would go differently

The new Iraq is no longer under threat of the return of old British-designed system of governing Iraq, the real threat today is Iraq going into a mess.. That is why I keep calling for getting and encouraging any radical group to join the new Iraq dream.. There were a lot of success on the Shia Sader and other radical groups, we need to work harder on the more needy Sunni one..Being powerful and more confident , the game with Alsader was easier. The problem with Sunni's is that they are under feeling that new democratic Iraq is working against them, they used Qaeda and violence as their only option to counter balance that fear. With more real power sharing that had happened over the last two years, and with the big frustrating disaster that Qeada terrorists brought to their communities, Sunnis are gradually moving toward accepting the new system of sharing power under one unified democratic Iraq, nothing but as a better choice

Over the last days , the western liberal media tried to portrait Maliki as the one who oppose the use of tribes in fighting back Qaeda.. Such propaganda was very successful in bringing Sunnis to an impression that such cooperation isn't into the interest of the Shia. For many Sunni's, such cooperation might end up in favor of the Shia, now most Sunni believe that fighting Qaeda is their option to gain power!

Indeed , Maliki was the one who started this initiative. Being a tribal man himself, he believed that the only way to get Iraq out of this mess is to encourage the tribes to take over some responsibilies in applying law and order at least in their own communities . He was the one who negotiated it with Bush on their meeting in Amman last year.. He was the one who encouraged Al anbar awakening , even in objection of many Sunni politicians and some US local commanders.. I have a feeling both Iraqi and US administrations are playing the right chair game ..

Iraqi political talks boost al-Maliki

HAMZA HENDAWI and QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA

Associated Press

BAGHDAD - Iraq's politicians are trying to stitch together a new majority alliance in parliament that would leave Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in power and freeze out backers of a powerful Shiite cleric who is leading a political standoff, officials said Thursday.

The apparent dealmaking comes amid increasing pressure from Washington for Iraqi lawmakers to end their impasses and move ahead with reforms - including a key law on sharing Iraq's oil wealth - considered essential to bring together the country's divided factions and ease the Sunni-Shiite bloodshed.

Washington has said its four-month-old security operation in Baghdad was partly an effort to give al-Maliki's government some room to move ahead with political reforms. The crackdown has not significantly eased sectarian violence in the capital, but al-Maliki still has come under sharp criticism for not pushing ahead with the U.S.-backed political changes.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/world/17403653.htm

There are a lot of rumors that the political parties are seriously considering proposal by Maliki to form a new non faction technocrat government.. Today Altawafuc Sunni main group , Dr. Salim Abdulah, told radio sawa that they are considering a move similar to the one already started by Alsader of withdraw from the government and leave it to Maliki to appoint a non Parisian non-faction or race technocrat to fill the ministers position.... Earlier ,Some Kurd legislators expressed their concerns of the Alsader shroud move by saying " they draw because they are not eligible ".. !!

'A Sense of Conspiracy'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19388718/site/newsweek/

By Melinda Liu and Larry Kaplow

Newsweek International

July 2-9, 2007 issue - Baghdad was already feeling the heat of an increase in suicide blasts and roadside bombs, mortar attacks on the Green Zone, and U.S. pressure to meet its "benchmarks" of progress by September. Amid all this, rumors abound in Baghdad of coup plots, which Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has fueled by accusing political rivals—aides say he means former P.M. Ayad Allawi—of "conspiring" against the government with the help of "foreign intelligence." (Allawi has denied any connection to a coup plot.) Few in Maliki's government see more of the internal challenges that the prime minister faces than Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, a Kurd who has managed to retain his post since being appointed to the interim government in June 2004. NEWSWEEK's Melinda Liu and Larry Kaplow spoke to Zebari. Excerpts:
I suggested the government check with the United States and Britain to see if they are part of it. They can't have it both ways. They can't support this government and also work with these people. I don't think Washington will support Allawi or give him any encouragement.

© 2007 Newsweek, Inc

NEWSWEEK: Washington urgently wants to see progress. What is the tone of communications between senior U.S. officials and Maliki?

ZEBARI: The message from President Bush and the U.S. government is very clear and consistent. They urge and encourage us to move faster. The whole idea of the surge is really to buy time [for political progress].

In the U.S. election, Iraq is the dominant issue. All the Americans we talk to say, "We stand by you and want to help you to succeed. We've invested a lot of blood and treasure. There's a lot at stake here. We're not cutting and running, but it's your government. Some things we cannot do. So you do it."

What do you think Gen. David Petraeus will say when he reports to Congress in September on the results of the "surge"?

[He'll say] "I've achieved most of my goals, but it's not enough. We need serious political movement, and this is not my job. National reconciliation—it has not happened." We [in the Iraqi government] had pledged to review de-Baathification measures and move towards a judicial process. There is progress on the oil law and another law on revenue sharing. On militias, it is government policy to not allow militias in the streets. These are all government goals—benchmarks for which people expect some movement, some sense of motion. There is still some time. We haven't given up yet.

Can you describe the relationship between Maliki and Petraeus?

Relations are difficult. Who's in charge? Who decides? I sympathize because the lines are blurred. The prime minister cannot just pick up the phone and have Iraqi Army units do what he says. Maliki needs more leverage.

Do Iraqi politicians know that American patience is running thin?

I've said over and over to the Parliament, "You can't act as if this is business as usual. It's not. People do expect progress."

What about the prime minister?

He recognizes the urgency. However, the political ground has shifted recently, making his job more difficult. The unified Shiite coalition has fragmented. Parliament is not functioning well.

Maliki speaks of coup rumors, apparently referring to Allawi without mentioning his name.

There is a sense of conspiracy. Allawi is moving around [the region]. The prime minister says there are groups that are out to undermine the government. He also checks with Washington and London. Always, their response [to us] is, "We are not part of it. We support you. Yours is the legitimate government." If there were any dramatic change, it would suspend the political process. What Allawi is hoping for is not a possibility. It would mean failure for the United States.

What did Allawi do to make Maliki think he's plotting a coup?

There was a serious conspiracy before this government was formed, which feeds the government's imagination—the Six Plus Two Group of intelligence chiefs of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Jordan, plus the United States and Britain. Their goal was to keep encouraging Sunnis to participate in the Iraqi elections, and to contain Iran. They put intelligence capability and financial muscle [into the effort]. It was not seen as a positive move by the prime minister, but we dealt with it quietly, without much fuss. After the election, the Six Plus Two Group continued without Iraqi participation. I complained, saying, "You're discussing Iraq and we're not present." It created bad feelings. Shiites and others took this as an anti-Shiite move. Kurds also felt, "What the badWord does Turkey have to do with this? There must be something fishy."

They would meet every two or three months. Some [of our] people reported that Allawi met the Six Plus Two [in May] or that he had a wishy-washy guy, a Kurd who collaborated with the former government, do it.

By "wishy-washy guy" you mean Irshad Zebari.

He is my cousin. He was minister of State under Saddam. Allawi wanted to bring Kurdish faces to show that his new bloc represents all Iraqis, but [Kurdish leader Masoud] Barzani, [iraqi President Jalal] Talabani and Maliki were really upset. It had the elements of something sinister against the government. Their criticism was a big blow to Allawi. I suggested the government check with the United States and Britain to see if they are part of it. They can't have it both ways. They can't support this government and also work with these people. I don't think Washington will support Allawi or give him any encouragement.

© 2007 Newsweek, Inc.

Below is an example of a chat between an Iraqi teenage and his Yanmani fellow, from one public chatting room

I don't really care what a Yemeni guy in Michigan thinks of me or my opinions. I'm going to try to steer this away from Jazeera and talk about Iraq, the main topic here.

LOOK WHAT ALJAZEERA HAS DONE TO YOU! Saddam was responsible for more than a million deaths. He destroyed cities, he destroyed the economy, he destroyed Iraq. Tell me something Mohannad, if you had lost a brother or a sister, or a mother or a father, or a friend, because of Saddam, how would YOU fell about it? I still laugh when people say that the only way to strengthen the middle east is to become more democractic, but they also say Iraq has to go back to a dictatorship. Everyone else to become a democracy, but Iraq has to be Saddam.

People can do what they want, but Iraq will always percevie. Iraq has a never ending amount of resources. In this country, religious differences doesn't get in the way of anything. Hundreds of people die a day, but thousands more are signing up to join the ranks of the Iraqi army, and fight back. Iraq has two incredibly long rivers, more water than needed. People get MARRIED on these rivers. Iraq has finally gotten it's chance to become a powerhouse, and it will. I don't care YOUR little Shia Sunni differences; in Iraq, the only question is are you with rebuilding Iraq or are you with destroying it. In other countries, one suicide bomb and the whole nation is in a panic and everyone thinks it's the end of the world. In Iraq, that has never happened. with three thousands suiciders. Iraq will rise from being a small 3rd world nation, and become a powerhouse.

And I don't care what you think about me or my people; It's gonna happen whether you like it or not.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/ir...ack=3&cset=true

Iraq strategy geared to U.S. pullout

Expecting a timeline soon, the military shifts main focus to Sunni-led Al Qaeda, a move it says will calm Shiite militias too.

By Julian Barnes, Times Staff Writer

June 28, 2007

When the Bush administration began sending additional troops to Iraq, U.S. commanders spoke frequently of the threat posed by the Al Mahdi militia, and they issued thinly veiled threats against its leader, radical Shiite cleric Muqtada Sadr. Although military leaders say the militia remains a priority, Sadr has tacitly cooperated with the U.S. troop buildup, telling his followers to avoid confronting U.S. forces. He is also a key supporter of the U.S.-backed government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki.

We haven't turned the tide. We haven't turned the corner, there isn't light at the end of the tunnel. But what we have done is take a failing enterprise and put it on a sound long-term footing."

A reduction in U.S. forces will happen, he added. "We will downsize. Absolutely," he said. "But what we are trying to do is put the operation on a sound footing so the Iraqis can handle it, and we can make it sufficiently stable."

The push against Al Qaeda in Iraq, including the offensive over the last two weeks in Baqubah, north of Baghdad, offers several potential advantages for U.S. forces.

The fight involves the kind of high-intensity operations that play to U.S. strengths. It pits American forces against an opponent that the U.S. public already considers an enemy, and provides clear "metrics" for measuring success.

After largely steering away from body counts of insurgents for most of the Iraq war, U.S. officials recently have been reporting the number of militants killed in operations against Al Qaeda.

Beyond these immediate advantages, the strategy is driven by the belief of senior officers that they have a window this summer in which to suppress Al Qaeda activity before a withdrawal timetable is determined.

Al Qaeda's attacks against Shiite religious sites and civilians brought the Shiite militias into the conflict last year, Petraeus said. Reducing the threat of Al Qaeda will reduce the militia threat, he added.

"Al Qaeda gave them an excuse. Al Qaeda is their raison d'etre," Petraeus said. "So you really have to reduce Al Qaeda's ability to carry out sensational attacks."

If the U.S. can show dramatic progress against Al Qaeda, other pieces of the Iraqi puzzle may fall into place, Petraeus said. For example, Petraeus predicted that pushing back Al Qaeda would help advance what he sees as the most promising development of recent months, the decision by some Sunni tribal leaders to turn against Al Qaeda militants.

"We are striving to capitalize on this," Petraeus said. The sheiks, he added, "have a sense now that they have a bit more of a stake in a new Iraq. They realize they are not going to run Iraq, but they do want their just due. They do want to participate, truly contribute, and yet the big development is they recognize what Al Qaeda represents is barbaric violence."

While it seems that much is about to happen on so many different fronts, things are in big confusion and frustration by average Iraqis. They don't see real radicle progress on ground .There are so many gradual changes and the latest break of the Qaeda back in their nurturing communities is one example of that changes. But the impact is very slow on people lifes, they are still not able to go around freely , services are at it's worse.

Some politicians tried to ride the wave of people sufferings by proposing some unrealistic old fashion scenarios, claiming that it is all because of Maliki and his government. That is at a time most of them are participating in this government or even had the chance to run previous governments that showed no better in providing security and services to people.

If there is a question among Iraqis today , then it is about plan B. They are no more fully confident that the current Unified Government mechanism is making it's way.

Those who prefer transparent move into plan B , favor the Maliki's proposal of re establishing a new wider authorities government with a technocrat non partisan ministers. Some thing Alsaderees triggered through their withdraw of their ministers asking to change them with technocrates.

Others, prefer a radical change through bypassing the current political process and go with a military run government with wide authorities, they have Alawee as to lead such government.

The difference between the two is very simple.. The first group is benefiting any progress on the security and services. The second is benefiting from the terror to legitimize their claim of government inefficiency .

While the two groups are on the race, Iraqis are watching . I think there is a limit to how much they can sustain the huge pain. I am under impression that we need a safety valve , I don't know what it could be though. An explosion in Iraq is not something to tolerate. I am not talking about sectarian war or Sader's or Sadamist's victory,rather it is the collapse of Iraq as a functioning state.Something that would explode the whole Middle east. Oil prices at the gas stations should reach some high rocketing prices that were never president. It is true that such scenario might be in the temporary interests of some non ME oil producers but we need to understand that the world will not be same. The impact will go way beyond Iraq and the region orthe some narrow minded short term interests.

The public speech by The head of Qaeda state yesterday "Islamic state of Iraq" might shed some light on the current crisis that Qaeda is facing after the huge defeat in Diala and Anbar. Abo Umer Baghdadee pointed most of his speech toward Iran, and warned the Islamic government of facing same realities that Iraqis are experiencing by Qaeda fighters if it didn't stop it's support to the Iraqi government.. He also send a final warning to any golf company to stop any commercial relations with Iran .

This speech came just two weeks after the Maliki's declaration that Alqaeda is planning for huge campaign in the gulf emirates after it's defeat in Iraq.

I think the Qaeda is trying to reach two groups by this announcement. First to distance itself from Iran, as many Arab politicians tried over the last weeks to link qaeda to Iran in a plan by the later to destroy the relations between Sunni Arab and USA. The second message is to the US administration. Qaeda in Iraq wanted to say to the Americans that there are some common interests we might have , the hate to the Iranian regime. Sadam tried that factor in the past in getting some American support . Locals in Diala province used to point to a strange good relation between the Iranian Mujahidi Khlag bases in Diala and Alqaeda. The former base in Ashraf city is flourishing under the rule of the Islamic state.

Any how , the letter of Mr. Abo Umer is nothing but to a reflect the real crises by Iraq Qaeda ..

on other front, for first time , Almaliki publicly requested to Alsadrees to be more precise in isolating the criminal elements that he labeled as Sadamists and criminals who are using Sader's name as a cover for their criminal acts. As expected , there were two different reactions by Sadrees to his statement. One was hostile accusing their former candidate to the PM position as leaning to the American embassy in that move to " distort the face of clean Sadrees".. Others , specially the head figures, went completely to agree with maliki saying that there is a large penetration of criminal elements driven by regional intelligence who are trying destroy the party from inside .. The reaction on the ground by public Sadrees was not very big. There was some demonstrations that were triggered by some other reasons.

Maliki might be willing to send this message to push Sadrees to have more moderate stands in the critical times that his government is facing .. Specially after asuring the support of the main four parties in the Parliament "his party, SCRI and the two kurds"..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/world/mi...ast/15iraq.html

Iraq Chief Says His Forces Are Able to Secure Country

BAGHDAD, July 14 — Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki declared Saturday that Iraqi forces could secure the country on their own “any time” American troops decided to withdraw, his first response to the White House report this week that found his government falling well short of many political reforms and military goals sought by Congress.

Maliki might be exaggerating, but I strongly believe that Iraqis can manage this war on terror much more efficiently under no occupation status. It is killing their dignity and pride. having more than 2000 civilian deaths per month is a complete proof that foreign control of this war is simply not working.. Defeating Qaeda needs more than military solutions, it needs local micro management that can go after the roots of the terrorist with much lower costs.American war on terrror might have different goals and tactics, as Iraqis we need to devolope our own ways to fight it too. Iraq has the biggest toll in terror victims than any in the world and it deserve the right to defend back not just to be only a front zone for that war!

General Nassir denies harming Abu Azzam’s movement and says he just follows orders. “Any civilian who stands up in the street and carries his weapon without an official order, I will detain him,” he said.

Have a look to this NT reprot.. I don't know why the Iraqi government allows these reproters leaking inside information about Iraqi troops that might put into danger the lifes of our brave sons who fight the out laws according to their rules that might not please others..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/16/world/mi...&_r=1&th&emc=th

One thing to put in mind while reading this report, Gen Nassir is a brave Sunni Arab Iraqi from the heart of the Anbar province!!